TeamViewer thinks I’m using the software commercially!

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Re: TeamViewer thinks I’m using the software commercially!

I'm sadly giving up on TeamViewer.  I just got off the phone with tech support, and they changed their algorhythm for identiying "commercial use".  And it now includes accessing from a non-residential location - i.e., so I can't even use my laptop from work to access my home computers?  Or my elderly mothers?

I'm not unwilling to pay a fair price. But when the options are:

1) Free, but with restrictions that make it unusable, or

2) $500/year

That's nuts - [removed per Community Guidelines]

When will TV just say that free is GONE, and offer a reasonable price for private, non tax-deductible use?

Highlighted
Posted by
Photon

Account Error

I just downloaded TeamViewer 14 for two different computers, one which is a laptop. And the other being a desktop. When I test to check the connectivity I get an error message stating: The trial license of your connection partner has expired. As your connection partner uses TeamViewer commercially, either one of you (one of the connections partners) needs a valid TeamViewer license". I never purchased a license for TeamViewer, I am using this non-commercially. It is simply to check either one of the computers remotely, if I were to forget something on my desktop and need it to display on my laptop I can't in this situation. PLEASE GET THIS FIXED!!!! 

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Re: Incorrect Flagging: COMMERCIAL USE DETECTED

I've submitted a request to get this removed. Still have not had this reversed. I hate to look into another RD application, but it seems like that's my only option at this point when I'm modifying something with my home network or dedicated server for 7 Days to Die/Ark.

I'll give it another week. If it's not reverted by then, I'll look for greener pastures. I don't want to think about it that way, but I'll have no choice.

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

It's been many pages since I wrote this response, so I'll update it and do it again for some newcomers. If you learn something, great. If you already know all this, well, I tried.

@JDTV
<<...submitting the IDs of the computers I am remoting into, for which I have received responses from TeamViewer that they were reset to "free", DOES NOT solve the problem when logging into them from my work computer>>
According to TeamViewer, using the product from a work environment is considered commercial. Same as logging on from a school environment or any environment in which any person receives compensation. You may not be making money on the usage, but it violates their new rules. So they may have unblocked you, then, when you used it from work, re-blocked you. See below for other info that may help you.

@danteafk
<<Did anyone get a response back after filling out the form?>> Sometimes, but much more often "no." See below for other info that may help you.

Here is one positive experience:

I filled in the online form for each of my 13 IDs. They unblocked 12 of those IDs within a few days. The 13th was still blocked. I filled in the online form again with no results. Then I received an email asking me to fill in the "declaration of private use" form. I did so and listed the 13th ID (even though the form doesn't ask for the ID at all). That 13th ID was unblocked within 24 hours.

Note that you have to submit the first form for each ID you have. Each TeamViewer transaction has two sides, each of which has an associated ID. So you have to submit a separate form for each ID. I submitted an online form for each ID I have and on the form listed all of the other IDs, so everything could be cross-referenced, if necessary. I showed the name assigned to each of the IDs. For each ID that "looked" commercial, for example DATASERVER, I explained that it was used only in my home and for a specific, non-commercial purpose. When they asked for the "declaration of private use" form, I also listed the ID and the name assigned. That's it.

All I can say is that it worked for me. Other people have not been so lucky, with no action of any kind in response to their forms. Can't say why.

I consider the unblocking a response, so I was not unhappy that they didn't write me an email when they did that. It's not good public relations, but my concern was unblocking - I consider that the important part of the response. In fact, the only email I did receive, was the one that said I needed to fill in the Declaration of Private Use. The response I got for that one was, again, unblocking, but no email.

This page has general information about this situation:

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Why-do-I-see-Commercial-use-suspected-Commercial-...

Their official explanation for what is private vs what is commercial is:

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-exactly-is-quot-personal-use-quot-defined/ta-...

Some people have called this a scam, but I think it's a very inept attempt to get "commercial" users to pay or drop out. But I know that the system is unclear, appears to be arbitrary and is inconsistent. They are **bleep**ing off a lot of people, when a simple explanation would probably have been sufficient. If they can't afford to give away free services, well, we all would have grumbled but accepted it.

There may be a secondary reason related to their attempt to take the company public (German IPO), pointed out by another forum user. They want the financial numbers to look good. For each ID that TeamViewer has registered, TV tracks when that ID is logged on. When the ID is logged on, it updates the dashboards of all other users that list that ID. That process could be utilizing a lot of TV internal resources, and this effort is an attempt to lower the number of users who do not pay, by either shifting them to paid licenses or dropping out all together. Unless someone knows someone inside TV, we'll never know.

Good luck.

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

Save yourself some time and start looking now

If you have not read all the messages here, you will eventually learn the frustration and aimless point of waiting.

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Thanks for the heads up.

I'll be looking for something new. Too bad that they don't care about the people who have been using them for quite some time and have suggested them to their places of employment which now use commecial licenses.

**bleep** shame.

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

The server in question, which could be the only thing I could think of, isn't a version of Ubuntu, Windows Server, or any other such thing. Not even a client running a VM. It's a W8 machine running a Dedicated Server that hosts P2P Client Access via open ports.

This is not labeled as a "Server" under their ToS as it's not something that I'm remoting into. I'm using this to change the Dedicated Server (Video Game) config files from a remote computer on my network.

Either way, if this is what flagged me, this makes no sense, as all other machines on my network are okay, and the machine in question is a W10 device.

I appreciate you trying to clarify the issue, but your clarification doesn't apply in this situation as this situation doesn't need clarification.

The device has been wrongfully flagged. 
It is a W10 machine.
I have filled out the form and have given the company over 2 weeks to resolve the issue.
It is still not resolved.

Seeing the amount of dissatisfied people experiencing the same exact problem, I'm going to take another user's advice and move on to another RD Application.

Doesn't matter if it's free or not to be honest. As long as the prices aren't extortionate, I'll pay the price.

If TeamViewer had personal licenses for $50/yr, I'd gladly pay that.
No way am I going to pay $500/yr when I'm not using the application commercially.

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Personal computer says it's on a Corporate network.

Since I moved into a new house I've found that my teamviewer is telling me that I'm on a coprorate network and that I need to upgrade my license. Can anyeone help me out with this? I use Teamviewer to help my family members when they have issues. 

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Re: Personal computer says it's on a Corporate network.

Having the same issue. I think the issue first started when I connected my phone to my works wifi network. 

Will be contacting support un less anyone else has any suggestions. 

Highlighted
Posted by
Electron

I'm getting this issue as well.. I'm suspecting my fast internet connection... I'm a home user and have a 100mb line and get this all the time
Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

@mp52nv
@D0TheMath
@Jholc

Read the latest 15-or-so posts to get some information about how this works. Judging from the experience of others on this forum, you have a small chance of success. But you could be one of the lucky ones.

Cheers.

Highlighted
Posted by
Neutron

Teamviewer suddenly becoming aggressive about suspecting “commercial use”?!?

All of a sudden tonight I started getting kicked off TEAMVIEWER because it suspected “commercial” usage. This was after maybe 5 minutes. Have used for years without hassle, a few times a year. What changed?

BTW I’m happy to pay them something, maybe $5 a month as I think it’s a great program. I can’t afford much more than that.
Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Re: Suspected of Commercial use AGAIN and AGAIN

just make a new account and you avoid having them reset it.. Its been a month and still no word on my reset

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Re: Suspected of Commercial use AGAIN and AGAIN

Are Teamviewer actively trying to drive away all free users so they can simply go 100% paid ?

Highlighted
Posted by
Electron

Re: TEAM VIEWER 14 FREE VERSION IS ASKING ME TO BUY LICENSE

My **bleep** I will print and post a form an especially not to another country. TeamViewer doesn't trust that I use it for private matters and add this faulty detection. Uninstall and forget is the way I will go.

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Re: TEAM VIEWER 14 FREE VERSION IS ASKING ME TO BUY LICENSE

I just installed **Third Party Product**. It works better

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

Same ole, same ole... Commercial Use Detected

They almost never seem to answer messages, I sent in a ton of requests. I have 7 old boxes on different platforms at home and in my workshop. They run on my home network. I'm retired, they're only used for hobby (ham radio), paying my bills, games, etc. Home use. TV "worked" good. No longer, they either think everyone is using it for business, their detection stuff is seriously in bad working order, or they don't care. Like many, I've said a small hobbiest fee structure for home use would be paid by most and maybe allow them to want to keep us.

[removed per Community Guidelines]

Dave

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Re: Connection Blocked After Timeout

I've just started getting the same issue today. what's going on?

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Re: Quicksupport Motorola G7 Plus with Android 9

Probably so.... they seem to be too busy getting the free non-commercial users bumped, like me!

Highlighted
Posted by
Photon

Commercial use suspicion

Hi, I ocaisionally use Teamviever to help my family abroad with basic pc issues, and it suddenly started to disconnect me and showing message about a commercial use suspicion. How to remove that? I would be happy to buy a license but £30 for a month for two-three times usage is way too much. What can I do? How this suspicion can be removed? Regards, Greg.

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Re: TeamViewer thinks I’m using the software commercially!

I've had this issue. I run 3 PCs at home and I use TeamViewer to wake an old laptop  and connect between the two desktops. I also use an iphone and android phone sometimes when I am out or even just sitting in my living room.

So knowing that I am genuinely only using teamview for personal non commercial use I instigated an online chat with teamviewer assuming they would fix it only to be put through to a sales rep who phoned me back. I explained my usage and the sales rep told me its OK to use teamviewer in my own home but connecting from outside the home via a phone or ipad is deemed as "commercial use". This seems to fly in the face of what it says on the Teamviewer website where it bangs on about it being free for non commercial use because of the positive word of mouth recommendations that result.

Highlighted
Posted by
Electron

Help me back my free profile

Hello everyone

I live in Russia and use mobile and two pc, it’s my device but teamviewer told me buy pro acc because I use it for commercials. But it’s my device, in one of them I use VPN because I live in Russia, please make my account free again **Please Do Not Post TeamViewer IDs** my id.

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

User id unlocked still see commercial use detected

I recieved an email telling me that they had unlocked my id but im still getting the msg saying commercial use detected. Can someone tell me if there is something i have to do on my pc

Tony Perez

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Comercial use detected

Hey guys help, not comercial use here.. And it keep says comercial use detected when i connect from mobile to my computer
Highlighted
Posted by
Electron

Re: Comercial use detected

Same here, getting the commerical usage 1 minute limit.  Only connect to my personal home machine.  Sales rep quoted me for $1,400 a year

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Thanks for the ideas - but I have to say - when there are other, reasonably-priced (or free) alternatives, is it really worth the time & effort to fight with TeamViewer, when it's clear that advertising "free" is just a marketing tool to suck you in?

They've lost the moral high ground, and lost me as a customer.

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Teamviewer Presentation Crashing after 59 seconds

TeamViewer 14, personal. 

When a user creates a presentation, it creates the presentation and others can join. However, after 59 or 60 seconds, the presentation ends with the error "The connection has timed out". When other users on this network create a connection, it works.

Uninstalled Teamviewer, cleared registry, did a full reinstall. 

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

TeamViewer thinks I’m using the software commercially!

WHY OH WHY?! 

This is so annoying. I have 2 media servers at my house and yet i cant log in because this hoopla. Waste of time and a week to fix. lol 

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

Re: Teamviewer Presentation Crashing after 59 seconds

@sgrochowski wrote:

TeamViewer 14, personal. 

When a user creates a presentation, it creates the presentation and others can join. However, after 59 or 60 seconds, the presentation ends with the error "The connection has timed out". When other users on this network create a connection, it works.

Uninstalled Teamviewer, cleared registry, did a full reinstall. 

Been there, done that. Even set up a new account on a different provider. Problem came back again. They do have a problem with often thinking personal use is commercial. Do yourself a favor and try other options until hopefully they can figure out their problem and get it fixed. I do like TV, but as an old retired guy with a bunch of junk computers for hobby stuff, I have worn out my patience trying things to make it work again.  :-)

Dave

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

Re: Has ANYONE had their commercial use block removed....

@Steve-in-FL wrote:

I do not know how to refer to an older post, so I will repeat my comments here:

I filled in the online form for each of my 13 IDs. They unblocked 12 of those IDs within a few days. The 13th was still blocked. I filled in  the online form again with no results. Then I received an email asking me to fill in the "declaration of private use" form. I did so and listed the 13th ID (even though the form doesn't ask for the ID at all). That 13th ID was unblocked within 24 hours.

You ask for pointers, but all I can tell you is what I did. I submitted an online form for each ID I have and on the form listed all of the other IDs, so everything could be cross-referenced, if necessary. I showed the name assigned to each of the IDs. For each ID that "looked" commercial, for example DATASERVER, I explained that it was used only in my home and for a specific, non-commercial purpose. When they asked for the "declaration of private use" form, I also listed the ID and the name assigned. That's it.

All I can say is that it worked for me. But I know that the system is unclear, appears to be arbitrary and is inconsistent. I know that the trigger is not only the IP address, since the ID that originally did not get reset was one of seven in my house, so they all shared the same WAN IP address.

Other people have not been so lucky, with no action of any kind in response to their forms. Can't say why.

I consider the unblocking a response, so I was not unhappy that they didn't write me an email when they did that. It's not good public relations, but my concern was unblocking - I consider that the important part of the response. In fact, the only email I did receive, was the one that said I needed to fill in the Declaration of Private Use. The responce I got for that one was, again, unblocking, but no email.

Good luck.

Steve-in-FL

Far too much work to keep struggling to keep their free version for hobby use working, especially when there's several others out there that work just fine.

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

Re: Commercial use detected blocks usage completely

@T3GTerry wrote:

I have been in communication with TV the last few weeks for the same exact thing. I have two cell phones, two android tablets and two laptops and a desktop ALL IN MY HOUSE. But due to my health I am unable to get around back and forth from room to room as much as I used to so if I need something from one device or I need to view something on another device then I use TV. HOWEVER here lately THEY SUSPECTED ME OF COMMERCIAL USE. So I filled out all the forms and they sent me a response. I will copy and past the one line that sums it all up ............ After reviewing the information provided to us, we were unable to confirm that the submitted ID is being used privately. Guess what? Not only can they not CONFIRM that I am NOT using it for commercial purposes but they are not confirming that I am either. **bleep** sure glad courts don't work that way. We are sorry sir but we can't confirm that you didn't rob that bank so we are going to put you in jail anyway. I will install a virus on my PC before I pay them for the use of something that they are falsley claiming is free when it is not.

Common theme these days with TV, it seems. I totally burned out sending in requests and stuff to them for my hobby stuff. No biggie to me, I'm retired, and while I did like TV, it's not worth the effort to keep dealing with getting it working and have it break again, over and over. "**Third Party Product**" works fine.

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

remote access blocked saying i'm not using it for personal use

Hi

My teamviewer is now blocking me and saying that I'm using it for commercial use when I'm using to personal use. I do have it installed on my work laptop, but use it to connect to my desktop at home as I can't use some apps on my work laptop. How do I get this block taken off?

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Re: TeamViewer says I'm using it commercially, but it's not true.

I'm having the same issue. have you found out how to resolve this yet?

cheers 

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Re: I need help please. No way to submit a ticket

forget TeamViewer, they never answer, they never help Customers.

I've gone to **Third Party Product**.

It works fine

Highlighted
Posted by
Electron

Teamviewer Commercial License Suspected

I did have TV installed on a server for movies without realizing that was against the rules. TV suspected commercial activity and shut me down. I went through the process of removing TV from the server (after I found out it was a no no) and filled out the required paperwork to have the free personal license reinstated. It's been a month since I've filled all that out, I still get commercial activity suspected. I recieved nothing additional from TV.

Any ideas? I can't even contact someone to see what's going on? I get that this is a free service and I need to be patient, but all I use it for is to prevent me from having to drive 20 minutes one way to my parents house to help send an email?

Highlighted
Posted by
Electron

Re: Why do I see 'Commercial use suspected' / 'Commercial use detected' link is not work

Getting this stupid message. I used to love this program but I'm uninstlling it soon from all my devices and going to any of the other free options in the same space as you. I"d name them but like a petulant child you mark them out with *Third Party*. If you're that good you shouldn't be threatened by a competitors name. As a free user you don't care anyhow...I can see you nodding yes. Good ridence. 

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Access blocked, please help!

Hi team viewer representative

Unfortunately, my account was deactivated. I'm a student at the University of Houston but I was doing my internship at Nvidia now since the laptop from Nvidia has business windows you deactivated my account.
I'm done with the internship and there is no business windows anymore.
Please activate my account. This semester I will graduate and I need to work remotely.
Please let me know if you need more information, I can provide you my limited work authorization that proves I'm a student and right now I was an intern.

Thanks, I greatly appreciate your help and understanding.

Sincerely

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Re: Access blocked, please help!

So I finally heard something from  TV. I had to actually go to Twitter and call them out for the lack of customer service, in order for them to respond.  After they eventually responded they still said I using TV  it commercially.

I have uninstalled TV and not renewing my actual commercial account with Teamviewer, that my IT team uses. We will be switching to another product. 

Maybe we should all go to Twitter and social media and bring this into the public light and let them deal with this marketing nightmare. 

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

In the end I just setup remote desktop to my home pc from my work laptop. setup port forwarding on my router to route to my dekstop private ip, added and inbound firewall rule ini the router, and just use rdp to remote to my router Ip. works just as good. does what i need for now anyways.

Highlighted
Posted by
Photon

After using Teamviewer for 2 years of personal use my account was locked for commercial use after the august update to IoS. I submitted a ticket and the account was unlocked. About a month later it was locked again. I use my phone at work on work wifi IP address every now and then and I'm sure that is why it's being locked. Work IP uses a high rate corporate TeamViewer account. 

Very unfortunate that I had no issues for 2 years and then all the sudden an update and I'm locked with no way to access my home server. 

Highlighted
Posted by
Neutron

teamviewer block after 1 min

hello,
i am using teamviewer to conect to my personal google cloud ubuntu virtual machine for my research on reinforcement learning.
i only used teamviewer for personal use. I never used teamviewer for comercial use. but since last week, i start to have this message, that i am using it for comercial use and i cant connect more than 1 minute before the connection close. then i have to wait 10 minute to reconnect.
how can we fix this probelm?
best regards,
greg
Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

TeamViewer insists that I am a business user and terminates connection after 30 seconds

So today when I tried to help my friend fix something preventing him from using his PC, my TeamViewer session randomly terminated. Upon trying to reconnect I was told I needed to wait 11 minutes to reconnect. When I was finally able to reconnect I was informed that "action" was necessary and that I was using the software as a business customer. The session again terminated after roughly 30 to 40 seconds.

I do not, and have not ever, charged anyone for fixing their issues over TeamViewer. I do not own a business license. Furthermore, I haven't used TeamViewer in weeks. I help my friends out with their issues at most 3 or 4 times a month. Either your algorithm for detecting "business" users needs to be reviewed by a professional, or someone's on my account without my knowledge.

Can you guys please reset my account back to a free user and take a look at what part of your algorithm flagged me as a commercial user and actually fix it. Thank you for your time.

Logfiles:
[The log files have been removed as per the community guidelines.]

Highlighted
Posted by
Electron

Academic User of TeamViewer - Flagged as Commercial Use

I run a research group at Arizona State University. but use my gmail account [The email has been removed as per the community guidelines.] for my 'free' Teamviewer account.  I use this to remotely access a range of remote computers and my account has been 'flagged as commercial use'.  Who do I contact and what info do I need to provide so that my account is not flagged for commercial use?   Or do I have to use my asu.edu email address to setup the teamview account?

Thanks, Jeff

Highlighted
Posted by
Electron

Re: Academic User of TeamViewer - Flagged as Commercial Use

Any updates? I have a similar issues after all this time - now, and without any advanced notice, i'm shut out of teamviewer. I use my gmail accout, not my .edu, and don't charge for my services or anything like that. I  have multiple commputers (and of course have my mom and dad on the list so I can fix whatever problem they have).......

@jyarger What do we do?

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Re: Team Viewer Commercial Use

Found the device ID the reset form is looking for:

1. In the Teamviewer app, click on the "Computers and Contacts" tab.

2. In the My Computers pulldown, click on the computer you cannot log into.

3. In the right panel, click on the gear icon next to the computer name.  Then click on Properties.

4. The computer ID will be listed in the dialog box!

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Falsely advertising “Free for Personal Use”

I’ve been using the free edition of TeamViewer for years to manage my mother’s computer. She lives several states away and she’s been living in a nursing home for several years now. Recently I tried to connect to her computer and was disconnected with a message that it appeared I was using TeamViewer in a commercial environment. I use TeamViewer to perform routine maintenance and to solve problems she has from time to time. I don’t receive any money from my mom for doing this. Please allow us to keep using TV so I can continue to provide her with the help she needs. I have written to TeamViewer repeatedly to request that the commercial ban be removed from my account. I have complied with all your requests and you have either refused or completely ignored my communications.

If TeamView continues to ignore my requests I intend to file a complaint with the US Federal Trade Commission for falsely advertising that this product is free for personal use. You state on this very same website your definition of what is “Free for Personal Use”:

Family and friends

In any case, the use of TeamViewer with family and friends without any financial compensation is considered as personal use.

Greg

Highlighted
Posted by
Photon

Re: Falsely advertising “Free for Personal Use”

I am having the same issue!

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

What are exact guidelines for non-commercial use?

I am using teamviewer to occasionally help my friends and family with their computers, and TeamViewer often tells me that it detects commercial use. Sometimes it still let's me through, sometimes it prevents me from connecting. Today I just couldn't connect at all :(

I suspect there's a bug in detection of commercial use, because my use case is clearly non-commercial, but I wonder, is there anything I can do to work-around?

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

I cannot change my Teamviewer to personal use

I install temaviewer company option now its expired, i want to install personal one but cannot

Highlighted
Posted by
Electron

the commercial use but only on my phone

so, I got the alert that they beleive that I am trying to use teamviewer with my phone, is there a reason why it is only blocked on my phone? I am suprised that they would try to block an iphone.  You can buy a chromebook for a fraciton of the cost to make money that way...