Virtual servers go off line when local user locks machine

Options
MichaelAnnett
MichaelAnnett Posts: 1
edited June 2022 in General questions

I have a virtual windows 10 machine running team viewer as a service. When the user locks /signs out team viewer is no longer available to connect to in the management consul. I have noticed this behavior on other windows 10 workstations when the screen or machine goes into standby. Is there a new version or patch available? Is there a windows reg mod or setting i can change. I assume this has something to do with a windows update as it has just started happening. Thanks for any suggestions

Answers

• JoshP
    JoshP Posts: 894 Community Manager 🌍
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hello @MichaelAnnett

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the TeamViewer community!

You have provided a lot of useful information in this post that will help us understand the situation better - Thank you! As you mentioned virtual servers, let's start there.

TeamViewer on servers works a bit differently than on a normal machine; the biggest difference is instead of just one ID, there are two types of IDs; the Server ID and the User IDs.

You can find more information on TeamViewer and servers here:

But since we are here let's discuss it a bit. With User IDs, the ID is linked to a specific user's RDP session. That being said, if the RDP session is logged out or locked, TeamViewer is no longer communicating with the ID and our servers, and therefore the User ID appears offline.

The Server ID, however, acts completely different. This is the ID that is linked to the actual system. Whenever connecting to the Server ID, you are brought to the server's login screen. This is the ID that is always accessible, as you mentioned running TeamViewer as a service.

To find the Server ID, you can pull up the Help window in any connection to the server, and should see the two separate IDs:

Regarding minimizing a session or going into standby - this is a similar issue with connections to User IDs - as mentioned in the above article, this is due to RDP no longer providing any graphics information (as TeamViewer simply displays what the remote system's graphics card provides at the time):

Such issues should not happen when connecting to the Server ID, as this is the systems actual ID.

I hope this helps get us started towards a full resolution for you! Any other information regarding your experience will definitely help us, should any issue persist.

Have a great rest of your week! 🌴

Josh P.

Senior Community Moderator

---