Windows 10 > 11 Upgrade issues you've had? Changing IDs?

Options
net1994
net1994 Posts: 11 ✭✭

Hello. Our business has a Tensor account and we've deployed the TeamViewer host to several thousand PCs with Win 10. We will possibly upgrade them to Win 11 in the next few months. I had a support case open with a TV Support rep and he mentioned that when the OS upgrade happens, the hosts TeamViewer ID will change. Has anyone had this happen? If so, what did you do to recover?

Also besides the above, any other negative issues with doing an in-place upgrade from 10 to 11?

Tagged:

Answers

• huehn
    huehn Posts: 1
    Options

Today I tried to upgrade a single machine from Win 10 to 11. Same problem. The TeamViewer ID changed.

Someone on site had to log in and give me the new ID. This is not a good solution for upgrading from remote :(

• JenW
    JenW Posts: 981 Moderator
    Options

Hi @net1994 & @huehn,

Thank you both for sharing your use case in our Community!

As the TeamViewer ID is linked with the hard- and software of the device itself, a change of the hardware or a major update of the OS can lead to a TeamViewer ID change.

Consequently, it can happen that a new ID is showing on the remote devices with no possibility of preventing it from our side.

We thank you for your understanding,

Best,

Jen

Modératrice Communauté Francophone 💌 French Community Moderator

• net1994
    Options

What is the criteria that would cause the ID to change? We really need to know the answer. It's been mentioned it may happen or it may not. But what is the trigger? There must be some process on the PC with the host client or Tensor back end system that flips this ID to a new one. We may need to update ~6000 PCs because of this. Or 10. Or none.

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,989 Community Manager 🌍
    Options

Hi @net1994,

Happy to see you again!

The TeamViewer ID is compiled from several hardware and software components, as well as information provided by the operating system. If there are major changes within these components, the ID may change.

With major changes, we mean, for example, a major OS update (Windows 10 ➜ Windows 11).

Let me know if you have any further questions! I'll be happy to assist.

/JeanK

Community Manager

• net1994
    Options

Thanks JeanK. Would you happen to have a list of the "several hardware and software components?" All the systems we've upgraded so far (~10) have not had the ID change. They are on Host ver 15.22.3.0. Though we have some PCs with host ver 15.10.x

• JeanK
    Options

My pleasure. 🙂

Currently, I cannot provide you with a concrete list of these components.

However, we could maybe figure out, based on your case, if an ID change might happen or not.

According to your post, I understand that all devices are on version 15 and that you don't plan to update their operating systems, correct?

/JeanK

Community Manager

• net1994
    Options

Hello. All of our systems are running a 15.x host. For about half of these systems, we will be doing in-place upgrades from Win 10 to 11.

• JeanK
    Options

Hi @net1994,

I talked with our engineers about your concerns.

I can confirm that updating TeamViewer within a major version (so, for example, from 15.1 to 15.x) won't cause any ID change.

However, when it comes to updating the OS, we cannot guarantee anything and can't make any official statement if the ID will change or not. We recommend testing it on a few devices and seeing how the devices are behaving.

The reason behind it is that we do not have control over some of the parameters leading to an ID change, as they are not TeamViewer-related.

Thank you in advance for your understanding here. Please let us know how the updates will go! 🙏

/JeanK

Community Manager