TeamViewer 9 & 10 End-of-Life

Answers

• Lykkedata
    Lykkedata Posts: 1

I bought a license in 2010 and one more license in 2015, I just wanted to buy a product that was not subscription based, security and reliability is not my problem but teamviwers, I feel led behind the light. I agree add me in law suit.

• Outrage
    Outrage Posts: 13 ✭✭

I am a TV10 CORPORATE user but i got this emailed to me this morning:

=================================================================

Dear customer,

Thank you for choosing TeamViewer.

To ensure the highest security and fastest connections possible, Server Services for TeamViewer version 9 will be discontinued and connections outside your network will not be possible, effective June 1, 2021.

How does this affect me?

On January 19, 2021, your TeamViewer 9 license will be upgraded to TeamViewer 11.

Because we’re committed to providing the best TeamViewer service possible, we’re excited to offer you a special complimentary trial of TeamViewer version 15, valid from January 19, 2021, through December 31, 2021.

What should I do next?

To get started with your free trial, please manually update your client to TeamViewer version 15.

Get step-by-step instructions for updating TeamViewer in this Community Knowledge Base article (English).

Questions? Call us or submit a support ticket.

Stay connected,

TeamViewer

=======================================================================

So does this mean TV 9 users get a FREE upgrade to TV11. I thought TV was only using the one (latest) version only

• mcascio
    mcascio Posts: 4 ✭✭

I purchased two permanent licenses of V9 years ago. They've slowly disabled more and more functionality on my accounts and now they would like to permanently shut us down. Very unethical and not what I paid for. It's fine if they want to change their policies and have new pricing structures, but the old versions should continue to function as per the original agreement.

Count me in on the law suit.

• This is ridiculous, count me in on the class action law suit! Where do I sign up?

• jconstan
    jconstan Posts: 1

This is total BULL! I purchased my Version 9 perpetual license years ago at a considerable expense. They have decided to go to a subscription model, which is WAY to expensive for my small business. I do believe this is an unethical practice. Count me in on the Class Action Lawsuit.

Very unhappy user.

• Masteritec
    Masteritec Posts: 1

Please include my company "Masteritec Sdn Bhd", 5 years is not lifetime.

• KLKGB
    KLKGB Posts: 1

The same for us as a company. We are using TeamViewer 10 an cannot understand this step.

... put me on the list too.

• 5miffy
    5miffy Posts: 1

What a disgrace! I upgraded from 8 to 10 in 2015 which wasn't cheap and now they consider 5 years to be perpetual?? I don't think so, I questioned this on their Facebook page and they deleted my post! Count me into any action against this!

• PCSupportTech
    PCSupportTech Posts: 10 ✭✭

Adding my comments to this. It's appauling behaviour. The (so-called) "agreement" that I have clearly states it is a 'Lifetime license'. I'm still alive, so how does that work?

Yes, I agree some legal action representation is appropriate here. This smacks of the VW Emissions scandal to me, strange they are both German companies. Clearly ethics are not an importanat aspect of the National traits ?

• Nenad_Rajic
    Nenad_Rajic Posts: 1

I purchased LifeTime TV from version 3, upgraded to version 9, and now 'LifeTime' is changed to 'LimitedTime'.

Perpetual changed to Limited. That's not OK for good Customer relationship, and it's against rules when I purchased this piece of software & services.

I don't want new opportunities. Only I paid for.

• Outrage
    edited December 2020

WHY DO TV 8 USERS GET THIS ,,, a free upgrade to 31 december 2023. but TV 9 & 10 users get to 1 june 2021 below is posted as TV 8 END OF LIFE NOTICE https://community.teamviewer.com/English/discussion/1 8666/teamviewer-8-end-of-life

How does this affect me?

As of June 1st, 2021, TeamViewer 8 will have reached its end of life. Connections outside your network with this version will not be possible any longer.

Because we’re committed to providing the best TeamViewer service possible, we’re excited to offer you a special complimentary trial of TeamViewer version 15, valid from January 19, 2021, through December 31, 2023.

On January 19th, TeamViewer 8 licenses will automatically be upgraded to a TeamViewer 13 license, valid through December 31, 2023. As we want to offer you the most modern TeamViewer experience possible, you can also choose to use TeamViewer 15 instead for the same time period, as a long-term trial.

• Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi all, 

Thank you for your comments so far. Rest assured, we are reading your feedback carefully. Please allow me to add to the above announcement the following:  

As TeamViewer is such a powerful connectivity solution serving many millions of users worldwide, it is essential that our software stays on top of the game – especially when it comes to security.  

Like all global tech players, TeamViewer takes this responsibility, not only for the safety of our users but also the broader internet community very seriously. We stand by our firm commitment to ensure that every TeamViewer version that establishes a connection via our global router network receives security patches. No exceptions.

However, time flies in the world of software, and maintaining an aging code base becomes more problematic by the day. Over time, the advancements in the broader context of software engineering as well as of a specific product amount to an extent where it becomes a big challenge to ensure the same high level of security from oldest to the newest version.

Against this backdrop, we are continuously deprecating outdated software to proactively avoid any deviances in the safety standards of our products. Last year we discontinued support for TeamViewer 5-7 and we will follow through with legacy versions up to TeamViewer 10 mid of next year.

The licenses of affected users do not expire. Their software will continue to work indefinitely within a local area network.

However, our servers will no longer facilitate remote connections to/from TeamViewer 8, 9 and 10 versions from June 2021 onwards.

While we understand that this is an inconvenience for some users who are still enjoying our oldest versions online, the planned deprecation honors any and all contractual commitments for the minimum lifetime of server services previously provided. As a matter of course, we will keep the legacy versions fully updated with any security patches until the very last day of server service.

Do not hesitate to contact our customer support via ticket with any further questions. 

My colleagues are happy to help with your questions.  

Thanks and best, 

Esther

Former Community Manager

• TechNYC
    TechNYC Posts: 15 ✭✭

I hope you got that in writing. I have called support multiple times and I was never offered anything like that.

• TechNYC
    TechNYC Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited December 2020

Hi @Esther,

I appreciate that you took the time to post a response. However, considering that the whole point of Teamviewer is for "remote connections", saying that the software will continue to work on "local area networks" would be laughable if it weren't so insulting.

Also, your claim that "the planned deprecation honors any and all contractual commitments" is an outright lie, as you can see below in the quoted text from your EULA for perpetual licenses:

"5. Server availability

For the proper use of the TeamViewer software the availability of the TeamViewer master server may be necessary. TeamViewer GmbH will take measures to ensure a high availability of the server. However, it is not possible to guarantee an uninterrupted availability.

TeamViewer guarantees that the server will be available and usable with the purchased version for a period of at least 10 years after purchase. If the transmission protocol changes in the meantime, an update will be provided to the customer free-of-charge if it is mandatory for further use."

As you can clearly see, Teamviewer's contractual obligation is to provide at least 10 years of Server availability.

I can assure you that unless a reasonable accommodation will be made for Teamviewer 9 & 10 licensees, I fully intend to follow through with my stated intent to pursue legal action and create a class action lawsuit, which costs the plaintiffs nothing. Class Action lawyers make money on winning their cases, so they're highly motivated. As you can clearly see from this thread, there is no lack of people interested in being a part of this lawsuit.

In reality, I would hope that legal action would not be necessary and that Teamviewer will act in good faith to honor your commitment and keep your clients happy.... those clients that trusted you and paid large licensing fees with the promise of a "perpetual license".

Sincerely,

Avi Fleischer

PS: For those interested, you can see EULA from back then pasted below:

August 01, 2014

1. Please Note

The following terms and conditions apply for all licensing models and product version of TeamViewer.

2. Satisfaction guarantee

All new orders have a guarantee of satisfaction of 7 days. All payments per credit card will be authorized when the purchase is done (validated) but not charged.

The respective credit card will not be charged until the 7-day satisfaction guarantee period has elapsed.

A cancellation may follow without giving reasons in written form.

In case of doubt, the customer is responsible for providing proof of a cancellation in time.

Subscription licenses with a limited period of validity of one month, starting from the delivery date, shall be extended automatically for another month. 14 days before expiry of the contract, the customer may cancel without giving reasons in written form.

Subscription licenses with a limited period of validity of one year, starting from the delivery date, shall be extended automatically for another year. 28 days before expiry of the contract, the customer may cancel without giving reasons in written form. The customer is responsible for providing proof of a cancellation in time.

Please notice that, when paying per invoice, not paying the invoiced amount is insufficient. The obligation to pay the invoiced amount only ceases to be applicable if the order has been cancelled within 7 days after purchase.

TeamViewer GmbH has the right to increases the prices at its sole discretion after notification has been sent to customer by email at least two weeks in advance. The customer has the right to withdraw from the contract until the new price will be effective.

3. Payment and retention of ownership

The customer only acquires the right to use the products according to the specification upon receipt of payment in full by TeamViewer.

TeamViewer GmbH reserves the right to offset any customer liabilities against a customers’ due payments.

In case of delay of payment, access to the TeamViewer-master server may be blocked.

Payment for Subscription licenses with a limited period of validity of one month can only be submitted by credit card.

All costs that are caused by abusing credit cards, reverse charging due to lack of credit etc., are paid by the customer.

Every abuse of credit cards or account information will be pursued.

All invoices are net tax and net withholding tax. Any additional taxes at expense of customer. Bank and credit card charges at expense of customer.

4. Rights and licenses

When buying software, the buyer acquires only the right to use the product according to its specification and End User License Agreement (“EULA”). All software packages remain the intellectual property of TeamViewer GmbH.

The customer must take appropriate measures to ensure that the products will only be used according to license agreements inside the company. This especially applies to the protection against illegal copying of the software.

The customer is responsible for all damages which result from a violation of the copyright instructions or illegal use.

5. Server availability

For the proper use of the TeamViewer software the availability of the TeamViewer master server may be necessary. TeamViewer GmbH will take measures to ensure a high availability of the server. However, it is not possible to guarantee an uninterrupted availability.

TeamViewer guarantees that the server will be available and usable with the purchased version for a period of at least 10 years after purchase. If the transmission protocol changes in the meantime, an update will be provided to the customer free-of-charge if it is mandatory for further use.

6. Warranty and Limitation of Liability

TeamViewer applies legal provisions regarding the warranty period beginning from the point of the first provision of service.

Within this period, the customer has the right to insist on correction of faults or replacement in the case of liability on the part of the vendor.

A breach of warranty shall be defined as the absence of a warranted function which shall not include the suitability of the software for a particular purpose. It is the obligation of the customer to verify prior to entering into the agreement, whether the purchased software is suitable for the intended purpose for legal or other reasons.

Especially for technical reasons, it can not be guaranteed, that all computers will be reachable with TeamViewer without any exceptions or errors. Advanced firewall technologies as well as special network structures can reduce the connection quality in some cases. This behavior has to be checked by the customer during the test period; a potential failure has not to be considered as an absence of a warranted function.

If TeamViewer GmbH is not willing or able to remove the faults or deliver a replacement or the process fails for other reasons, the customer has the right to insist on revoking the contract or receiving an appropriate rebate on the purchase price.

Any further claims asserted by the customer, particularly claims for damages of any kind, are excluded.

NEITHER TEAMVIEWER GMBH NOR ANY OF ITS EMPLOYEES AND LICENSORS SHALL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES CAUSED BY THE SOFTWARE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, OR DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF SAVINGS, REVENUE OR DATA INCURRED BY CUSTOMERS OR ANY THIRD PARTY, EVEN IF THE DEVELOPER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

This shall not apply if TeamViewer has maliciously concealed a defect. The customer is solely responsible for the safety of his data.

THE LIABILITY SHALL IN ANY CASE BE LIMITED TO THE PRICE PAID FOR THE LICENSE.

7. Data Protection

Information in accordance with § 33 BDSG: The customer's data will be stored in the form of name and address of the residence and business location respectively for internal use.

If requested by customer TeamViewer will record and store the connection logs of a session within the Management Console for a time period of 12 months starting from the purchase of the license.

8. Final clauses

Place of fulfillment for traders, legal persons of public law, as well as customers without a place of general jurisdiction in Germany, is Goeppingen.

Only German law applies

Alterations of contract must be in written form.

• Same here .. I would also like to be included in the lawsuit

• Aviator5
    Aviator5 Posts: 1

I also am quite taken back by the termination of my Teamview 10 license. Sign me up to protest.

• ssttec_com_br2014
    ssttec_com_br2014 Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited December 2020

I've worked with TV since version 4. I never ever expect anything close to it from them. The terms and conditions for TV10 it's very clear as supposed to be any honest agreement.

5. Server availability:  For the proper use of the TeamViewer software the availability of the TeamViewer master server may be necessary. TeamViewer GmbH will take measures to ensure a high availability of the server. However, it is not possible to guarantee an uninterrupted availability.   TeamViewer guarantees that the server will be available and usable with the purchased version for a period of at least 10 years after purchase. If the transmission protocol changes in the meantime, an update will be provided to the customer free-of-charge if it is mandatory for further use.

Their Inside Sales Representative told me the costs to keep the old versions are high and the new technology of the Operation System forces them to make it, and last but not least, the TV prices are still very low in Brazil and once turn the year it will be increased. Should be fair if they upgrade the older version to the upper version and follow the terms mentioned above instead cut out the clients who helped and trusted their products. It'll solve everything, they won't have extra costs with older versions and all their clients will be happy.

I'm fine with the new service, but they can't change the previous contracts. If they don't adjust it, I'll be one more of millions of people to join the Class Action Lawsuit.

• I am in on any class action suit as well. Who do I contact to give my info?

• Wk_Brasil
    Wk_Brasil Posts: 4 ✭✭
    • Without ethics, the millions of customers who believed and made TeamViewer grow are now kicked .....
    • Sem ética, os milhoes de clientes que acreditaram e que fizeram a TeamViewer crescer agora são chutados.....

• nexter83
    nexter83 Posts: 2 ✭✭

I received this from TeamViewer when I complained yesterday over the phone. The support representative told me he need to talk with his supervisor to discuss options. I'm a v10 user from 2015. This was their response:

In regards to our conversation yesterday you would need to upgrade to the current subscription model, and I would be more than happy to send a discounted quote over for this migration. Per the email you received the Server Services for TeamViewer Version 10 will be discontinued, effective June 1, 2021. 

For background and your info: We cannot maintain older versions past the lifecycle of a software product, and we do not have a legal obligation to do so. The license is still yours and remains intact, but we will no longer provide “Server Services” - which allow for the connection to other devices outside the local network. Server Services are a separate services function, they are not included/guaranteed forever upon the purchase of a perpetual license.

Please let me know.

• enz98
    enz98 Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited December 2020

Hello this is from TeamViewer Sales <salesteam@teamviewer.com> Feb 3, 2016. Lifetime is lifetime

Thank you for your email.

Our licenses are lifetime licenses. When you purchase a license with us, you make a one time payment to purchase the version we sell at that time and all the updates within version 10 will be extended to you at no extra charge. There are no additional monthly, yearly nor maintenance fees.

TeamViewer releases a new major version (ex: v10 to v11) every 12 to 15 months. Version upgrades are new functionality that our users have requested throughout the previous year. As such, updates are absolutely optional and solely based on your decision whether the features of the new version offer you any added benefits or not.

Should you decide the new features are of a benefit, you will then need to update your license. As an existing customer you will receive an approx. **Information removed as per Community Guidelines** discount off the new version list price.

We support all earlier versions of TeamViewer. If you choose to stay with the version you originally purchased, you will always find your license supported here: http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/dyngate.aspx.

To ensure that your customers/colleagues are utilizing a compatible version, we encourage you to create a TeamViewer customized QuickSupport module saved within your version. Once created, you place the custom link on your website or personally email the link to your customer directly. This allows your customers to initiate their support session with a version compatible with yours. You may find the customization wizard here: https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/download/previous-versions/

You can also customize the Host module here: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/customdesign.aspx?module=Host

Nous offrons également un service francophone si vous préférez.

Let me know if I can assist you with anything.

Best regards,

Stella Pla

Sales Representative

-----------------------------

www.teamviewer.com

TeamViewer US LLC * 3001 North Rocky Point Drive East * Suite 200 * Tampa, FL 33607

Tel. +1 800 247 3507 * Fax +1 855 891 0177 * E-Mail salesteam@teamviewer.com

• Monty_1966
    Monty_1966 Posts: 2 ✭✭

I purchased a TV license 5 years ago and would have went with another solution but thought this was a perpetual license. That is what I was told, anyway. Include me in the class action suit. How do I sign up?

• Outrage
    edited December 2020

@Esther Was your last post just done to aggravate and insult TV 9 & 10 users further? If so, you did a great job. what an insult this is "While we understand that this is an inconvenience for some users" ,,,, some users??? no one will be able to preform remote login. Your own website describes the software as "remote desktop software".

why don't you do something constructive and answer this? or is this way past your pay scale?

WHY DO TV 8 USERS GET THIS ,,, a free upgrade to 31 december 2023. but TV 9 & 10 users get to 1 june 2021 below is posted as TV 8 END OF LIFE NOTICE https://community.teamviewer.com/English/discussion/1 8666/teamviewer-8-end-of-life

• japinto1
    japinto1 Posts: 1

@Esther,

Like many of the users on this comment thread, I too bought the license when it was explicitly advertised as "Perpetual." it kind of makes me laugh that you guys pretend this has to do with security. If this truly about security, you'd let us upgrade to the new TeamViewer versions, but you wont. Security has nothing to do with this, it's all about getting more revenue through a subscription model. Let's start calling things by what they are please.

Here's the thing, I would have never bought your product, if it hadn't been for the Perpetual promise. At the time, it was a business decision and I made the investment. It turned out that the product was great and it worked out for me. Now you deciding to change the rules on our agreement. This isn't just unfair, it's probably illegal too.

I will also be joining any class-action litigation that's surely to come from this. Should the decision to end support for TeamViewer version stand, I will not be switching to a subscription model. I rather go with a different vendor I can trust.

• Outrage

@japinto1

This is their problem now ,,,, we have no trust in them. Even if we / i decided to go with a subscription version then what .... they try something else??? You can not deal with a company like this. Too much risk.

I can not understand what is in their heads when they offer TV 8 users a free upgrade like below then kick TV 9 & 10 users in the arse

-------------------------------------------------------

TV 8 OFFER BELOW

How does this affect me?

As of June 1st, 2021, TeamViewer 8 will have reached its end of life. Connections outside your network with this version will not be possible any longer.

Because we’re committed to providing the best TeamViewer service possible, we’re excited to offer you a special complimentary trial of TeamViewer version 15, valid from January 19, 2021, through December 31, 2023.

On January 19th, TeamViewer 8 licenses will automatically be upgraded to a TeamViewer 13 license, valid through December 31, 2023. As we want to offer you the most modern TeamViewer experience possible, you can also choose to use TeamViewer 15 instead for the same time period, as a long-term trial.

https://community.teamviewer.com/English/discussion/108666/teamviewer-8-end-of-life#latest

--------------------------------

Yet TV 9 & 10 users get nothing

CAN SOMEONE FROM TEAM VIEWER PLEASE EXPLAIN THAT!!!

• PCSupportTech
    PCSupportTech Posts: 10 ✭✭

Does anyone on this forum know of, or have access to a good commercial lawyer that could would be prepared to investigate this case to assess the strength of bringing a claim ?

It's highly likely that a law firm would be prepared to raise a claim on a no-win-no-fee basis so that the claimants (us) would not be liable for these.

We shouldn't allow Teamviewer just get away with this,

• lilychua
    lilychua Posts: 1

We purchased Teamviewer ver 10 in 2015 and was told to be perpectual license. Through out the years, version 10 serves our purpose well and we do not need any newer features.

Newer version with more advanced features can be a selling point

to attract new comers and also for existing customers who have

the need to upgrade. But forcing existing customers to either

take it or leave it is seriously not fair.

In business, win or loss, we have to keep our promise.

Hopefully Teamviewer can consider this.

Thank you very much.

• Maurice_Guya
    Maurice_Guya Posts: 2 ✭✭

Everyone who have acquired a perpetual license have contributed to the expansion of this company that now repays us by blackmailing to switch to a subscription service.

I think that in order to make that choice, they have already weighed the consequences and, although they will violate all contracts and fight legal action, they will come out victorious.

I can understand that times have changed and evolving platforms have forced software evolution, but if they can’t keep the promises they made when we bought a perpetual license, they have to find a solution!

It is not enough to have free version 15 until 31 May 2021!

My proposal is to keep what we have and leaving out advanced features.

In my little, I just need to be able to access remotely on PC manned and unattended with just the desktop, mouse and keyboard; everything else for me is superfluous.

Dear TV, if you don’t meet us halfway, it’s obvious that we’ll change software and you won’t get our commercial anymore.

Tutti coloro che hanno aquistato una licenza perpetua hanno contribuito all'espansione di questa azienda che ora ci ripaga ricattandoci a passare ad un sevizio in abbonamento.

Penso che per intraprendere questa scelta, loro abbiano già valutato le conseguenze e, sebbene violeranno tutti i contratti e combatteranno con le azioni legali, ne usciranno vincitori.

Posso capire che i tempi sono cambiati e le piattaforme in evoluzione abbiano obbligato alla evoluzione del software, ma, se non riescono a mantenere le promesse fatte quando abbiamo acquistato una licenza perpetua, devono trovare una soluzione!

Non è sufficente avere gratuitamente la Versione 15 fino al 31 Maggio 2021!

La mia proposta è di mantenere ciò che abbiamo tralasciando funzioni avazante.

Nel mio piccolo mi basta poter accedere in remoto su PC presidiati e non presidiati con il solo desktop, mouse e tastiera, tutto il resto per me è superfluo.

Cara TV, se non ci verrai in contro è ovvio che cambieremo software e non avrai più la nostra pubblicità.

M.G.

• Compix
    Compix Posts: 1
    edited December 2020

Dear colleagues,

since TV behaves this way, can you suggest me the cheapest program with a "perpetual" license that has the same functionality?

Thanks for your help.

Paolo Ridolfo

[personal information removed]

• DomLan
    DomLan Posts: 490 ⭐Star⭐

IMHO

The perpetual term should not be understood as forever, but rather until one of the two parties decides to terminate the contract. There are some judgments, by various European and American courts, which establish a certain margin of interpretation on this element

In this sense, the technological evolution behind a product such as TeamViewer, but more generally behind every technical component or software, means that it is not possible to establish in advance all the future implications that a product use agreement may have.

I think I understand that the product, in the specific versions reported here, no longer has the possibility of communicating with the servers of the parent company; this scenario is plausible, given the increase in telematic exchanges that take place every moment in the world. The choice to operate on safer communication protocols requires the exclusion of using old ones. By old I mean those prior to the version of TLS 1.2, including also inadequate systems that other counterparts have also discontinued (eg Microsoft with XP, Vista, and 7)

Me first, would find it difficult to accept assistance via TeamViewer from a person who uses an outdated version and is unable to meet some of the security requirements available today.

I think it is plausible instead to ask to be able to access a discount to better complete a transition on a more recent version of the product (with subscription type license). Speaking openly, I pay for a product that I demand is maintained and implemented over time. I pay to demand that problems be corrected as they arise.

I pay to ensure that the tool is kept safe over time.

Regards

Domenico Langone

MCSD: App Builder