Complimentary TeamViewer 15 access for legacy versions to be deprecated

JeanK
JeanK Posts: 6,973 Community Manager 🌍
edited November 2023 in Announcements

Hi all, 

Hoping that you enjoyed pleasant holidays despite the trying circumstances, we would like to send our best wishes for a Happy, Healthy New Year to all of you! 

Core to the earlier announced deprecation of legacy versions 8-10 is our commitment to always ensure the best possible security for the connectivity solutions our users trust in (see the announcement for TeamViewer 8 here and for 9 and 10 here). While we understand that software updates for remote machinery can be burdensome in certain scenarios, we will always prioritize security over convenience in alignment with industry best-practices. Therefore, we will follow through with the announced discontinuation of server support for TeamViewer 8-10 licenses on September 15th, 2021. See this comment.

However, based on your valued feedback here in the TeamViewer Community and irrespective of differing legal contexts for the license cohorts, we decided to adjust our approach as follows given the current stress situation worldwide: All TeamViewer 8-10 licenses will get complimentary TeamViewer 15 access corresponding to 10 years of server service from purchase year. 

The same applies to TeamViewer 5-7 licenses that have been migrated to TeamViewer 9 previously. For TeamViewer 5 licenses, the 10-year period would have expired on December 31, 2020, but we decided to prolong it to September 15, 2021.

The complimentary access to TeamViewer 15 will be added automatically to all applicable licenses on January 19, 2021. 

As mentioned above, from September 2021 onwards TeamViewer versions up to 10 will not be able to connect to our servers any longer, so affected users should update their setup with the complimentary TeamViewer 15 access well in advance. While the deprecated legacy versions will continue to work indefinitely within local area networks, we strongly advise against utilizing software without regular security updates in any setting. 

With this complimentary offer, we hope to address most concerns and to express our sincere gratitude for our longstanding TeamViewer users. As always, please reach out to the TeamViewer customer support regarding any questions. 

Thanks and best, 

/JeanK

Community Manager

Comments

• gparry
    gparry Posts: 1

Working in the software business i understand why teamviewer does not want to continue supporting older versions.. Having also purchased perpetual licenses in my case 4 more years does not really = perpetual...

The correct way for teamviewer would be to provide the old server software to the community, and we could then setup servers that still handle the older versions... No ongoing costs for teamviewer and we can still use our perpetual licenses per the purchase terms..

We should be able to choose, use a community server platform or upgrde to a newer license... I would suggest that if you dont want to lose many customers you make the upgrade option a longer duration even some of the newer features we dont need require an additional fee.

• BartoszB
    BartoszB Posts: 2 ✭✭

Ok, what if we have about 50 groups and about 500 computers ?? How do I verify the versions they have?

There is no such option in the Management Consol! This should be the basis!

Does anyone know the solution to my problem?

• ions
    ions Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited June 2021

Hello TeamViewer,

I have TeamViewer 15 downloaded and I wanted to activate it using my TeamViewer 9 license code using the "Upgrade Account with Legacy License Key" as per the instructions in this article.

https://community.teamviewer.com/English/discussion/109492/complimentary-teamviewer-15-access-for-legacy-versions-to-be-deprecated

However, when I enter my TeamViewer 9 license key in the Legacy License Key input box I get the message:

"The entered license is invalid"

Please advise.

Thank you

• Fiona_G
    Fiona_G Posts: 689 Staff member 🤠

Hi @ions,

Thank you for your feedback. As our announcement stated, the complimentary access to TeamViewer 15 will be added automatically to all applicable licenses on January 19, 2021. That is, the complimentary TeamViewer 15 access for legacy versions will be activated automatically in the backend on January 19, 2021. The only action needed from your side is updating the client to a newer TeamViewer version after that date and before June 2021. We'll share some updates to address users' questions and concerns soon in the thread you mentioned above soon. Please kindly refer to it for more information.

Fiona_G
  • Esther
    Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager

Hi there,

to keep everyone informed: I posted a new comment to answer some questions here:

Former Community Manager

• Outrage
    Outrage Posts: 13 ✭✭

@Esther Firstly, thanks to TV for listening and altering their position to something closer to being fair. I am sure that some users will still be unhappy but I think the offer of:

is reasonable. This is what i suggested in one of my earlier posts prior to Christmas

My only point of confusion is your point 2 in your last post

"2)     The complimentary access will be valid for all supported versions (TeamViewer 11 and above) to allow for the best Operating System compatibility. Here is a link to check which OS are supported:"

Is this in addition to the offer for TV 5 to 10 ?

Do i understand that effectively all TV users will be able to use TV 15 but TV users between 5 and 10 will just have the expiry date as per the table above?

Can you please re clarify?

• Esther

@Outrage Thanks for your feedback. I got a similar question in the other thread about v9 and v10. I think I will need to re-phrase this in my reply. The supported versions after June this year are TeamViewer 11 to 15. While you can use TeamViewer 15 from a licensing perspective, you might need to use an older version depending on your OS. Let´s say you are using a Mac OS x 10.7 (Lion) you can´t use TeamViewer 15 but in this case, you can use TeamViewer 11.

Former Community Manager

• Ivan_F
    Ivan_F Posts: 3 ✭✭

Hello @Esther !

Say me, please, how can I get the license for complimentary access to TeamViewer 15? I have a TeamViewer 10 Business license now. When I try to use TeamViewer 15, my license shows as Free.

• Natascha
    Natascha Posts: 1,591 Moderator

Hi @Ivan_F

Thanks for your comment.

We need to investigate further in this case. Would you mind to tell me your email address in a private message? We may then open a ticket for you. Looking forward to your message.

Have a great day.

All the best,

Natascha

German Community moderator 💙 Moderatorin der deutschsprachigen Community

• tez
    tez Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited January 2021

I'm really struggling to get my head around Esther's post. i'm on v12 Biz premium. Am I right in thinking I can go to v15 for free, retaining all the features I currently have and none of the currently imposed restrictions on the equivalent subscription plan such as limited connections / limited hosts and still be on a perpetual license until year x?

What i'm worried about is a back door way of converting my license to subscription with no means of returning back to my perpetual license.

I looked into the 50% off, however I loose too much as i'm forced to take the top price even though I only need a single install, but have 400+ hosts.

I have spent a huge amount of money on TV coming from v5 through to v12 and now I feel all I did was line someones pocket

• MarcS4
    MarcS4 Posts: 2 ✭✭

Hello @Esther

We originally purchased TeamViewer 7 in 2012, regularly upgraded it to TeamViewer 10 and finally added a last TeamViewer 10 add-on channel in 2015.

Please could clarify until when our complementary TeamViewer 15 access is available?

Is this end of 2022 because our initial purchase was for TeamViewer 7 or end of 2025 because our last purchase was 2025?

Or is that depending on each individual purchase?

We can't find this information in our administration console.

In addition, we would like to know whether we would get a warning before the TeamViewer 15 complementary access stops?

Thanks in advance

• Outrage
    Outrage Posts: 13 ✭✭

@MarcS4 Try opening your TV software then select HELP then ABOUT and then have a look for the EXPIRES date.

This might give you an indication. Maybe still get your issue clarified though

• MarcS4
    MarcS4 Posts: 2 ✭✭

@Outrage

thanks for the hint.

But I am not sure how to interpret this information as the only date there mentioned is not related to any of our purchases.

What does this date mean?

Thanks in advance

• tez

probably the date of the software's revision / version, or date installed.

• kteague
    kteague Posts: 2 ✭✭

On Dec 21st I received a notice from info@services.teamviewer.com that stated in part: "On January 19, 2021, your Teamviewer 9 license will be upgraded to Teamviewer 11." It then goes on to offer the complimentary trail of TV15. I have not seen any additional info from this notice, nor has my license been upgraded as stated in notice? Like others on this list - we have been a long time user with TV under the perpetual license agreement and during the past years we have help expand the TV base by promoting the product. Bottom line - is the upgrade to TV 11's perpetual license factual or a myth and the only path forward is to move to TV15 under a perpetual annual fee or move all of our long standing existing clients to another platform?

• kdla
    kdla Posts: 1

Since my support ticket is being ignored, I'll write here.

I've been using TeamViewer 8 with a perpetual license and was told through an email that the TV8 will be discontinued and will automatically be upgraded to TV13. However as of Jan 19, 2021, It looks like my license has been automatically upgraded to TV15 without me opting for it. Your new announcement doesn't state anything about what'll happen to my license after year 2023 and I need a clarification on my options as a customer who have bought the perpetual license. Please state clearly:

1. What are my options as a customer with the perpetual license? (We'll rather take TV13 perpetual license than get complimentary TV15 service that'll end in 2023)

2. Please clarify what'll happen to the customers with a perpetual license after Dec, 31, 2023 when your "complimentary" period ends. Did I just lost my perpetual license that I've invested to access & remote control PCs through the internet? (Teamviewer has never promoted itself for being a tool for the LAN environment, I believe all of us have bought the product for its use through internet.)

Thanks.

• MarkJB
    MarkJB Posts: 4 ✭✭

That is the date of the last time you updated the version.

• Garrick
    Garrick Posts: 1

We all have been deceived !

I was a lifetime license, and all in a sudden, it turns into a 10 year license.

This is a very dishonest business practice!!!

Very angry. Somebody should take them to court.

• Esther

@all - Meanwhile all licenses have been updated in the backend to a license valid for TeamViewer 15.

This license will expire automatically based on the license you purchased before. See the table in my initial post above. E.g. a license based on a former TeamViewer 10 expires in 2025.

@MarcS4 We are taking your last purchased license into account. If this was a TeamViewer 10, you can use the license until December 2025.

@tez @kteague @kdla The complimentary licenses for TeamViewer 15 will expire automatically- meaning that you won´t go into an auto-renewal. After the expiration, you can still use your license for LAN connections within the older versions. Please keep in mind that we will not provide download links after the shut down from our servers.

If you have been offered a version 11, 12, or 13, you can also use the complimentary TeamViewer 15 license as our management decided to give all affected users access to TeamViewer 15. Once expired, you can still use your license for LAN connections within the older versions.

Former Community Manager

• tez

So basically at some point in the future our perpetual licenses will be no longer valid outside of a LAN and will be forced onto subscription. So really this is the start of a mopping up exercise to ensure 100% of corporate users are on subscription within the next 5 years.

• Argelis
    Argelis Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited January 2021

Hello Esther,

I'm going to ask in clearer terms here because it feels like you are avoiding a very important subject. I have spent a lot of hard-earned dollars on the TeamViewer PERPETUAL license. When I bought this PERPETUAL license it was understood and confirmed by your reps at the time that this meant PERPETUAL unless TeamViewer went out of business, of course. I agreed and decided to use my hard-earned cash to buy your software instead of going with all the emerging competitors you have.

I received your email in December stating the following:

"On January 19, 2021, everyone with a TeamViewer 8 license will be upgraded to TeamViewer 13.

Because we’re committed to providing the best TeamViewer service possible, we’re excited to offer you a special complimentary trial of TeamViewer version 15, valid from January 19, 2021, through December 31, 2023. "

This very much says that my license, which is PERPETUAL, will be upgraded to TeamViewer 13 and that IF I WANTED, I could try out Teamviewer 15. I'm not interested in TeamViewer 15 or any version which will void my PERPETUAL license at some later time.

Now, you say you had to retire the old version for security reasons, fine that's your prerogative. What you can't do is then go on to say "Hey we're ending these versions that you paid a PERPETUAL license for security reasons" and then conveniently forcing us to go on a subscription service so you can extract more money out of people that paid for a PERPETUAL license.

As the email you sent us stated, the right way to go about this is upgrading our license to whatever is the lowest supported version of TeamViewer and making that one our PERPETUAL license.

With all that said, what we ALL need to hear from you is, how do we continue with our PERPETUAL license? We're not interested in a subscription and you can't deny us the PERPETUITY that TeamViewer agreed to and we PAID for. Unless you go out of business.

PS I don't know what all this "local" access is about. Teamviewer has never presented itself as a LAN solution and not a single person I know in this industry has ever brought that up. This is a complete and utter cop out.

PPS If there's no path to a PERPETUAL license, where can we go to get a full refund? Thank you.

Respectfully yours,

Argelis

• kteague
    kteague Posts: 2 ✭✭

Ester,

The email sent by services @ TeamViewer stated:

"On On January 19, 2021, your TeamViewer 9 license will be upgraded to TeamViewer 11. Because we’re committed to providing the best TeamViewer service possible, we’re excited to offer you a special complimentary trial of TeamViewer version 15, valid from January 19, 2021, through December 31, 2021."

It is 1/28/2021 and our TV9 license has not been upgraded to TV11? Only current option is TV15? Your statement yesterday:

@all - Meanwhile all licenses have been updated in the backend to a license valid for TeamViewer 15.This license will expire automatically based on the license you purchased before. See the table in my initial post above. E.g. a license based on a former TeamViewer 10 expires in 2025

We did not ask for nor do we want to upgrade a Perpetual License for a subscription license. Nor like others, using TV on a local LAN was never a consideration when purchased, it was the Perpetual license that made your product attractive.

Our accounts should be upgraded to the respective version that maintains the Perpetual License or you need to provide a fix / patch to our existing software to eliminate the security issue?

Ken

• Ivan_F
    Ivan_F Posts: 3 ✭✭

@Esther @Natascha

I never got an answer to my question. How can I use my version 10 license on version 15? When updating automatically, I get the Free license type. I tried to contact the sales department, they said that they did not know about this possibility at all. Here Natasha promised to help, but did not even read my messages in the personal account. You no longer have a support service. And what to do? Is our cooperation over?