Posted by cansiz
Digon

Compatibility with older versions

Some of my customers use TeamViewer 11, because I use TV13 I can't connect to them. It is a pity that this does not work. Is there a solution?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Posted by Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: Compatibility with older versions

Hi @cansiz

Can you try to start the QuickJoin module in version 11?

You can download it here: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/previous-versions/

Thanks, Esther

10 Replies
Community Manager

Hi @cansiz

TeamViewer is backwards compatible. Connections from a TeamViewer 13 to a TeamViewer in version 11 should work without any issues.

Only the other way around: From version 11 to version 13 will not work.

Are you getting an error message? If so, what does it say?

Thanks and all the best, Esther

Posted by jlow202
Henagon

immediate time out issue

I use tv for my personal purposes (free version)  to help family members who are less computer savvy then I.  As is  I tried to access one of the computers from my work place and was immediately timed out because the contact was made from my work network.  

Is there a way around this or is the only solution to purchase a license?  Please advise.

Posted by Former Staff AlanW1
Former Staff

Re: immediate time out issue

Hi jlow202,

Thank you for posting. When you use TeamViewer to connect your computers in office, it is deemed as commercial use and you need to have a license. 

Please refer to this article to find why commercial use detected.

Posted by cansiz
Digon

Hello @Esther,

when I set up a meeting with TeamViewer 13, it is not a problem to join this meeting with TV11 (both with license).

But when there is a meeting set up with TV 11, I can not join this meeting with my TV13. It gives a message: "Unable to connect: The meeting you are trying to join is incompatible with your TeamViewer version. Please use TeamViewer QuickJoin instead."

After this message, I downloaded TeamViewer QuickJoin. But there is the same message when I try to join the meeting. So I have no connection from TV13 to a meeting in TV11. This is important, because the Browser version isn't good for it.

Also I tried to join to a meeting with a invitation link. When I open the link, I can choose If I want to join the meeting with TV13. There wasn't a connection, so I tried to choose QuickJoin (opening the .exe file for it). But also there isn't a connection.

Thank you for your answers.

Community Manager
Solution

Hi @cansiz

Can you try to start the QuickJoin module in version 11?

You can download it here: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/previous-versions/

Thanks, Esther

Posted by cansiz
Digon

Thank you very much! This helped me.

Posted by voytek
Henagon

@Esther 
Hi Esther,

Is the backward compatibility only for the paid version or will it work on a free version as well?

I have an untended PC, running version 10 or 11 (not 100% sure), I tried connecting with version 13 (free) and 14(free)  but I get the following message:

The remote TeamViewer is running an old version which is out of date. Therefore you cannot connect to this Version anymore. Your connection partner can update TeamViewer by clicking on "Help"-Check for New Version".

This is however not easily achievable as the PC is unattended.
If I purchase the license will I be able to connect?

Cheers Voytek

Posted by aflynn37
Henagon

My mother and I both have older Macs. I tried installing the latest version of TV, but was told my computer was too old, so I installed the compatible 10x version. Mom did the same with the QuickSupport program. 

When I put in the ID numbers she gave me, I got a message that I couldn't connect to her because she was using an older version of QS and to tell her to install the latest version. Well, the latest version doesn't work on her computer! How are we supposed to connect?

She is going out of her mind already, with me emailing her links to install software that doesn't work, and helping her figure out how to close and/or delete the wrong ones, and close windows, and delete emails, and redo it all over. She is very very helpless, she doesn't even know what a desktop is, so this is all very slow and time consuming and frustrating. I need to be able to establish a connection to her computer, and then I will create a permanent connection so I can help at easily in the future. 

But I am at a loss here! Appreciate any thoughts on connecting two computers, neither of which can run the most recent versions of the software!

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @aflynn37 @voytek 

Thanks for your posts.

There has been a change in regards to the older versions for several reasons: Now, older versions are only available for customers with a TeamViewer license.

You can find more information about this topic here: Updating to the latest and greatest version of TeamViewer.

Thanks and best, Esther

Posted by Billy_Shears
Henagon

TeamViewer is no longer completely backwards compatiable.  
A freind of mine tried to connect from TV13 or TV14 to TV10 and received a notice saying that the TV10 was too old and needed to be updated.
TeamViewer as an organisation are being difficult and unfair to their users.  
I regret moving to TeamViewer.