Commercial use - Connection time out

Comments

• joetaras
    joetaras Posts: 3

The same issue.

Tell us if you want to exclude free users or if this is a temporary bug.

Because if this is a bug I'll wait for the next release otherwise I'll find another remote access software.

P.S. I try to link only my PC (one PC) form another. I don't use T.V. for commercial use.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Best regards

Joe Taras
  • andreas_f
    andreas_f Posts: 4
    Same here as well. Been a happy free user for >10 years and now unproven punished as criminal. Many years before I have suggested to offer something as a 'personal supporter' license for a few bucks (as I like to pay for usable & helpful software), but TV had rejected thats nobbishly generously.
    Now we know why
  • joetaras

I suppose we must find another software for our personal uses.

What a SHAME for T.V. management and staff.

Joe Taras
  • waces
    waces Posts: 29 ✭✭

As my previous post was removed due the violation of the policies I knidly ask where and how can the end user receive some in-depth information about the method TV flag someone as a commercial user. Not in-depth in the technical level as don't want to break any intelectual property but some high level information how the end users can make sure they won't be marked as commercial users. There are a lots of reports from various locations, with various way the end users uses their TV infra and I think none of us knows when and how we broke anyting and become marked as commercial users.

Once again - just to make sure this post not breaks anything - just a high level information like (if you use your tv via your corporate VPN you'll be marked as commercial user even you connects only your home pc, or similar.)

If this thread is not the right place to ask then please, please point out where these kind of question can be asked? (other thread, reddit forum, support e-mail, etc)

I assume if we know what need to be avoided will lead much less false justifications.

I hope this post doesn't contain any rumor or invalid information and not break any bit of the policy of the forum usage.

• joetaras

My dear, 

thanks for your reply. I hope the staff tell us some infos because this situation is very hard to resolve.

Joe Taras
  • PeterHah
    PeterHah Posts: 17
    It seems I had success in bringing this to the attention of our most renowned IT magazine, and they'll be looking into it.

And likely be writing about it.
  • perezil
    perezil Posts: 1
    edited October 2022

I too gave up. Signed up for an annual subscription with a competitor that is less than $100 a year for up to 10 computers.

TV just doesn't understand that many of us are willing to pay to access our home and/or SOHO computers. The management from **Third Party Product** must have transitioned into TV. It is the only explanation for their "we don't care" attitudes.

• Raewisconsin
    Raewisconsin Posts: 1

Everytime I connect today to a friends computer to help them, it kicks me out after one or two minutes saying it has timed out. I deleted the program and re-loaded and still get the same results. Any ideas would be appreceiated.

Thanks

Roger

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,973 Community Manager 🌍

Dear Napster,

Thank you for your message.

On the following link, you will find plenty of information regarding this issue:

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Why-do-I-see-Commercial-use-suspected-Commercial-use-detected/ta-p/5265

For unlimited access, you need to purchase a license.

Here the link to get more information about our licenses: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/buy-now/

I hope this could help you.

Cheers,

Jean

Community Manager

• JeanK
    JeanK Posts: 6,973 Community Manager 🌍

Dear John_W,

Thank you for your message.

On the following link, you will find plenty of information about your issue:

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Why-do-I-see-Commercial-use-suspected-Commercial-use-detected/ta-p/5265

I hope this could help you.

Cheers,

Jean

Community Manager

• pbmorse
    pbmorse Posts: 1

Is anyone else struck by the grim irony of the publisher of a bit of software that facilitates instantaneous global communications telling its user base that a) they're guilty until proven innocent and b) proving their innocence will take "up to 30 days?" 

The boardroom brainwave of massively annoying and inconveniencing legitimate users complying with the license terms, then effectively locking them out could not be more draconian or short-sighted. Someone, somewhere believes this will produce a flood of revenue via new license purchases but how many other companies have attempted same only to watch their market share vanish?

Sending detailed logs away on the equivalent of a slow boat to China with no clearly defined procedure or timeline is madness - and they want to make it contagious.

If this is a "community" then it's a very hostile neighborhood judging from the pugnacious responses of the so-called service team who spend the majority of their time telling the user base to get stuffed in so many words. Well, that and pedantically removing links and names of competitors - I'll bet that's a fulfilling, self-actualizing day at the office! 

But even that makes no sense. If people ARE running afoul of the license terms and want to abandon the product then that is a win-win for TeamViewer. Support requests and workload will be reduced and network traffic will ease.

The user base has watched TV shift the goalposts on a regular basis but Operation Lockout can't even adhere to its own stated policies: if 5 min is the prescribed window then why are users experiencing and reporting sessions closing after 20-30 seconds in many cases? Where did the seemingly arbitrary number of minutes to wait to try again originate and why?

Building a user base and then implementing a hostage scenario might be the most bizarre business plan since New Coke. But, as before, the decision-making at the top seems completely disconnected - pun intentional - from the user base.

Yes, yes, terms of service (for the software and the service) and all that but ultimately any product is about a value proposition.

• TE5LA
    TE5LA Posts: 9 ✭✭

Does anyone know why I can't submit the form they have? I get a "Secure Connection Failed" message, indicated something wrong with their email setup.

All I use TV for is to control a computer 10 feet away from my main one so I don't have to walk across the room. Doesn't sound very commercial to me.

• Great, now I'm getting popped for TeamViewer thinking I'm using the product for Commercial Use. In what crazy world does me connecting to my home computer, which resides on Comcast's network "for Commercial use." Am I going to get the same message if I try to help my mother when she has issues? I've been using TeamViewer for many many years, but it's time for me to find another solution. I hardly think this issue will addressed quickly or even at all. 

• KMS
    KMS Posts: 5

Same problem here.  I use TeamViewer to connect home and support family members, including elderly relatives.  Probably only 3 connections used regularly as the kids are old enough to solve most of their own problems now.

I've been cut off without warning or any indication as to why I've been flagged as commercial.  I've uploaded logfiles but if this is now a regular problem I need an alternative which I can use on Windows and Mac OS.

Ironically I was only recently recommending TeamViewer as good for family use. Guess I'd better reverse that advice! 

• KMS

Interestingly the message tells me they have a 'high volume of requests at this time'.

However looking at the dates of reports, this is obviously a long running issue so not sure how confident I am in a fix.  I support elderly relatives who I'd need to visit to change their software (if they could do this themselves they wouldn't need me...).  This leaves them without support until we have a fix in effect so possibly I should just move to another option anyway

• MarkJ409
    MarkJ409 Posts: 4

All of a sudden, when I attempt to connect to my home computer, on a Brighthouse Network, I get bumped, and connection blocked after timeout.  I only use this account now for personal use, and now TeamViewer seems to think I'm Commercial.  Maybe because of my email address??  I only use this account to "support" my family, most of which are too far away from me to drive over and fix their issues.  Anyone else have a resolution to this??  Thanks in advance!

• timwuz28
    timwuz28 Posts: 6 ✭✭

I've been a long time personal user, and only access my own computers at home. And also have this same problem. I wonder if they are starting to force personal users to purchase commercial license or this was a glitch that will hopefully be fixed soon.

What version of teamviewer are you using? I'm still on 10, tried 11 when it came out and didn't like it, I've kept everything on 10.  Wondering if the older ver could be a factor.

• andreas_f
    andreas_f Posts: 4
    JeanKinzler,
    wow, you have phrased it as ths is understood in your organisation
    "...you will find plenty of information about YOUR issue."
    Actually, imho it's TV's issue, not the users issue.
    TV has started this, based on criteria and justified with details which never had posted before. Even (as it is in my case) when you never violated against the rules, I feel nasty treated and slandered without getting any proof from you.
    Well, probably it's getting time to sue you for libel (the german word is Verleumdungsklage).
    I have proof for your action, what do you have?
  • MarkJ409

Hi....thanks for your response.  Unfortunately, maybe, I've updated to the latest 13.1.3629.   Because of my previous profession, I'm now having to "support" maybe 10 family computers, but 90% of the time I'm just logging into my home PC from my "new" office.  It allows me to monitor camera's and other activity at my house....lol

• timwuz28
  • KMS

@PeteMc

Thanks for the suggestion, your post seems to have been deleted.  I do need something which supports Macs as well as Windows.

Frustratingly I've just realised I have to raise a ticket and upload a logfile for each machine in my group.  So that will be 6 or 7 tickets and the most critical machines are those with elderly relatives who are not local.  The minute or two of time I get in each session isn't enough to get the logfiles of.  I used to recommend TV a lot, I'd not recommend it to people using it to support dependent relatives now

I have in the past suggested to them that they have a domestic licence - a modest price for a modest support level and to support the product.  Looking at how these issues are managed I think its probably time to look for an alternative in either case.  This is plainly a regular problem and not well handled - sudden cut off, obscure process and multiple tickets required for one user.  Not surprising they are inundated

• RLO
    RLO Posts: 5
    same problem repeatedly
  • timwuz28

I also have the same problem this morning. I don't believe you need to submit log file from all PCs. I believe you only need to submit the log file and ID for the PC that's having trouble connecting to the other devices.

The reason I said that is, I'm able to grab another PC from my network and access the other devices just fine. So it seems for whatever reason, only one of the PC on the network if affected by this issue. And I've only submitted the log file for this PC.

And for everyone who's affected by this, in the mean time, try another PC to access your other devices in the mean time as a workaround.

• timwuz28

By the way, I've also just posted a suggestion at that other thread that as a work around while waiting for support ticket to be reviewed and access restored.    Try using another PC to access your other devices.   It works for me.  So it seems the access ban is not account-wide, but individual PC that for whatever reason triggered the connection limit. 

• Well that's just rich isn't it.  I only have one 2 in 1 that I keep in the vehicle.  Would be nice if they sent an email before blocking you.  Seeing several posts here from today this is the first problem I've had in more than a year using the same laptop.  I guess it's time to look for another product if they treat people like this...even if it's just free use I'm still a potential paying customer this stinks. 

• MarkJ409

So, I was able to chat with sales briefly earlier, and they sent me a link to fill out a form.  I explained on the form that although my email address has the word "computer" in it, that I closed my business a year ago and now work for a non-profit.  I still "support" family computers, as I'm a nice guy and most of them live too far away from me to drive to fix issues.  Now, I sit and wait for them to decide if they're going to change my status from "Commercial/Personal" to just plain "Personal".  If they were to look at my log today, they'd see me logging in every 30 minutes or so, for the 2 or 3 minutes that they leave me connected, just to respond to messages....How long does it take for a decision to be made and the status changed??

• someone mentioned it may be limited to the device not the account how about sending an email first and not just unceremoniously cutting us off. I connect to my home pc(s) and check my security cameras that's all I do I guess it's time to look at a competitor that treats people better. Sad I really like team viewer but this is **bleep** and then to tell me it might take a month to get around to unblocking me? Oh **bleep** no.
  • timwuz28

From that other thread, it would appear at least a few days for the ban to be lifted.  I'd suggest grabbing another PC to access your other devices in the mean time as a work around as mentioned earlier. 

• That's good advice assuming you have another laptop to use. I'm here not at home with only this laptop and now getting told it might take a month to get around to unblocking me....no sorry, you see something you don't like send me an email first don't just unceremoniously dump me with no question first. no this is wrong, at this point even if they unblock me I think I'm done with teamviewer.