TeamViewer thinks I’m using the software commercially!

Announcements

Enjoy your weekend!

If you want to read our latest blog post, click here.

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Re: Unable to connect

Never made money from Team. How to restart the id?

Letter- wrote. Do not answer

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Re: Commercial Use

Completely agree!  I have been waiting for more than 7 days with NO response.  

Highlighted
Posted by
Pentagon

Re: Commercial Use Detected

No company could be this incompetent. The simple fact is they want us free users to be **bleep**ed off and find something else while they still pretend they are free for non-commercial use.

Just look at the facts. this problem has been going on for years and there are close to 100 pages of contributions. And that doesn't count the posts that have been deleted like this one probably will be.

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

Which ever "Manager" who thought up this very sub-optimal scheme should perhaps be given another task...one much less damaging to Team Viewer.
Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Hi,

I started a chat with TeamViewer Support regarding this error.

If you are not aware, TeamViewer *monitors* the network that you are conducting your Remote Control sessions on.

In my case, I was using TeamViewer on my employer's network to connect to my personal laptop for troubleshooting.

Even though the usage was personal, the network it was conducted on was commercial - and that, apparently, is what TeamViewer is focusing on.  This is according to TeamViewer support agent, Angie.

So, if you are receiving the "commercial use detected" error and you're initiating the session over a business network, you'll either have to apply for an exemption or conduct your session on a public network.

A personal VPN may work to circumvent this detection, but I have not verified this.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

There are a lot of users that have been unjustifiably cut off. The question is how does TV know what commercial is or not? Very obviously TV does not know.
Highlighted
Posted by
Electron

Hello,

How do I apply to an exemption? I use TeamViewer to connect from my employer's network to my home network for browsing, music etc which is filtered out on the corporate network.

Cheers,

Alex

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Here is Section B.3.4 of the EULA:

3.4.Scope of use for Free Version.

The use of the Free Version is solely permitted for the Customer’s own, private, non-commercial purposes (e.g. free computer support for a spouse/partner). The use of the Free Version for the exercise of the Customer’s own trade or profession or the use for purposes for which the Customer directly or indirectly receives compensation (e.g. team work with colleagues, free support provided to third parties which have bought software of the Customer) does not qualify as private use. End

It does not talk about the network, but about what is being done. It seems clear that TV is enforcing a different set of rules, or is taking the easy way out by using a simple-minded algorithm rather than an accurate determination of how TV is being used. Enforcement needs to match the EULA.

Highlighted
Posted by
Neutron

after reading through all this i dont feel so bad anymore.  i thought it was just me having this problem.  i mean i know i have a lot of devices in my house and like to help out my family with quick fixes but dag on... forcing me into commercial use without at least checking or some kind of warning to what could have trigged the conversion is down right **bleep**.  what needs to be done to have my account switched back and stay that way

Highlighted
Posted by
Photon

Dosconnect after few second and limit 5 min. Repeat.

Hello,

I use my product to connect to my remote server that doesn't have a monitor.
I don't get paid for it, so free lincene seems to be a good thing.

Recently, he still disconnects me after a few seconds and gets blocked for 5 minutes, and so all the time.

Earlier it worked without a problem.

At this point, I am forced to use other solutions that work much less well, because I can't afford to buy a license for the whole year.

Can you explain to me and give me more information.

Best Regards

Daria Wach

Highlighted
Posted by
Photon

Re: Dosconnect after few second and limit 5 min. Repeat.

I have the same problem. My Android app says that "commercial use detected". Then it closes after few seconds, and I can't connect anymore. I can't use the software at all. And I'm not using Teamviewer commercially. This started some time ago.

I have't even used Teamviewer except occasionally, and not for commercial use. Now I have to seek for alternative softwares if there's no solution.

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Re: Dosconnect after few second and limit 5 min. Repeat.

Same here and its getting old fast....

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Technical question

Hello, when connected to a remote computer, it throws me out after a few seconds, as it was suspected of commercial use. I have 5 devices connected: a personal computer, a personal smartphone, 2 parent computers (I help them sometimes on some issues), and a personal computer at work. I do not use team viewer for commercial purposes, please unlock my account

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

commercial use detected still

to be truthful im getting a little fed up of teamviewer i have been using the software for years but the last year i have had several false commercial use detected. the 1st time they reset my teamviewer id but now its not working on any of my families computers. when i go to connect i get pop up to say commercial use detected then kicks me off. i have sent four tickets up to now and recieved no reply. i also rang the 0208 number to be told get off the line this is for paid users and that i have to shut up and wait. i dont feel 4 weeks is satisfactory when it says on the site 7 days. if teamviewer cant get there act together can anyone recommend other free remote assistant progarms

Highlighted
Posted by
Neutron

Re: commercial use detected still

I've been using teamviewer free for years to help my friends, coworkers and my elderly parents.  for the last 6 months or so, I've been getting the same Commercial Use error.   Teamviewer support even looked into it and the deemed my account as free and reset it.  Now , the first time of trying to use it when my parents are having a windows update problem, I can't use it again because of some new algorithm is messing things up for us all.  I'm so perturbed right now, I'm so mad I can't take care of my mom.

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Live customer service representative

I need to talk to a live representative to discuss the fact that I have never used nor have a need for commercial use but they have tagged me as a commercial user.  However, they don't respond to the requested information I sent in to show I am not a commercial user.  How do I contact someone at TV to discuss this?

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

It gets even crazier.

I posted earlier how TeamViewer monitors and detects the network that you are using TeamViewer on.

In my case, I was using TeamViewer on my company's network.

I discovered that my company's TeamViewer *Enterprise* license expired on the same day I started getting "corporate use detected" warnings for my personal TeamViewer sessions.

Once my company paid-the-bill and the Enterpise license was restored for my company's network, then *all* TeamViewer sessions, corporate and personal, were successful.

So, if you're receiving the warning messages about corporate use, or you see your sessions suddenly turn to "Free-to-use" but expired, check with the network admin and/or the finance department of the network you are surfing from.

Also, the email that TeamViewer sends for expiring Enterprise licenses gets flagged as spam - making it even more difficult to monitor.

Hope this helps

Highlighted
Posted by
Photon

Connection Blocked due to commercial use

I continue to get blocked from being able to connect to my PC from my Laptop. Teamviewer reason is I am using it for commercial use. This is not the case. I have tried to reach out to them on FaceBook and online. Nothing works. 

I use my laptop (which is slower than dirt) to connect to my PC so  I can browse the internet or update my budget. Really nothing more. 

I refuse to pay teamviewer for what should be free for personal use. Any help would be great. I have already complete a form that was suggested to my from their FB and they still block me. 

For the moment I use Chrome Remote Desktop to access my PC. At this point I should just go buy whatever I need to make my PC Wi-Fi compatable and be done with teamviewer all together. 

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Re: TeamViewer thinks I’m using the software commercially!

Guys, I filled the form more than 1 month ago, and didn't get the answer from you. What is a problem here?

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Re: Your trial period has expired!

Guys, I filled the form of wrong commercial suspect more than 1 month ago, and didn't get the answer from you. I am using the Team Viewer only for personal purposes, but it's working only 1 minute now. What is a problem here?

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Re: Meet the Team

Can I have a explanation to why I have put a ticket in once a week the past 4 weeks and had no reply. Keep getting commercial usage detected. I am unable to use software on my family pc until its reset. I rang support line to be told get of the line and wait. 

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

personal user help request

Hello. I am a personal user. I am not a commercial user. I can't use it due to trial period error. Could you please help me?

2 Replies
Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Re: personal user help request

I have sent a ticket for "commercial use detected", filled out the form and emailed it back in and still no response.  Why does this take so long to resolve, and why can't anyone take the time to respond to tickets/forms/inquiries??  This process is insanely long!

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

Re: personal user help request

Yes, I think we have all gone through this long stage of getting re-accepted. What Teamviewer hope to achieve from this is difficult to ascertain, but Teamviewer is losing a lot of people. I like teamviewer but no longer have any trust in it because one does not know if one be regarded as a commercial user in future and the long, long wait to get recognized as a non-commercial user. Not one of your best ideas, Teamviewer -- I fail to see any strategy in your current course..
Highlighted
Posted by
Electron

Commercial use on a single instance

Hello there,

I am aware I should be completing a form in order to get help with my issue. However, I do not have the available information to do fill it. To make this simpler, I will tell you my entire setup in a few lines.

Laptop - I use a laptop to access my computer and work on coding whenever I'm not busy in college.

School Computer - Well, pretty self-explanatory

Desktop - What I store my coding tools and everything of the kind/What I remotely access

I am able to log into my Desktop from the School Computer without receiving a commercial use suspected message then a connection expired. Friends logged into my Desktop to test it as well without an issue.

However, I am not able to log into my Desktop from my Laptop. I automatically get both messages and my Teamviewer gets locked. I do not use anything other than Discord, Word, Google Chrome and sometimes a game or two on Steam on the Laptop.

My friend logged into my Laptop without receiving any messages. Everything went well. 

Why is the commercial use message only happening whenever I use Laptop to Desktop ? How can I tell which device to provide in the form? I'm really unsure what to do.

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

My teamview was blocked. I am using teamviewer as non-commercially.

My teamview was blocked. I am using teamviewer as non-commercially.

My account is: [The personal information has been removed as per the community guidelines.]

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Re: My teamview was blocked. I am using teamviewer as non-commercially.

TeamViewer, have you ever thought of the fact that it takes so long for you to resolve these issues that there is no way that the majority if not all of us could be using this commercially, or we would be losing tons of business??  Doesn't even make any sense.  If all these people were using it commercially, thier business would be in trouble since it takes close to a month to resolve this simple issue.

Highlighted
Posted by
Photon

Same for me. Using TV in a home environment, then getting a popup that my connection will be limited to 5 minutes (which would be kind of okay-ish), but then I get kicked after 1 minute and are unable to reconnect.

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Hello,

this is my first visit in this community. And it is not a pleasant one. It seems like teamviewer is ignoring questions and feedback from unlicensed / non commercial users. I already wrote a feedback to this issue, and hoped that it would be resolved, but neither it was resolved, nor did some body of the support team try to contact me to help solve the problem.

I want to know, what i must do to remove the classification as commercial use from my account - or if this is not the case, get a confirmation that the partner which was visible in my latest logs that i sent with the feedback form, is classified as commercial use.

But regardless of what team viewer thinks, we both surely dont classify as commercial. We use team viewer only once in a while,  no more than two times in less than 6 months, so this really can not count as commercial.

I urge teamviewer support to contact me with this issue.

If they wont contact me, I will tell my friends to remove the free license and use any other remote access software that is available on the market.

Greetings

Wolfgang

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Re: Teamviewer 15 and Teamviewer Host 15 license

@SAA,

I suppose, that it is considered commercial use, because the teamviewer id on your commercial pc is a commercially used pc.

I ran into this trap earlier this year, and teamviewer did not think about replying to my support / feedback form since then.

And I still dont know, how I could use teamviewer with two different licenses on my personal computer at home. I would like to be able to connect to my friends with my private non commercial ID and connect to the computer in the office with the quicksupport software our company has licensed.

Greetings Wolfgang

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

timeout

I am home user.....it thanks I am a businesss.....help

Highlighted
Posted by
Neutron

Judged as Non-Free user

Hello. 

I have used Teamviewer since years and somehow I was recently marked as non free user.

I used Teamviewer to help my parent, my gf or my friend with their laptops.

After being marked I cannot help them anymore since the sessions only last couple minutes.

Is there any way to get my free license back?

Thanks in advance

Highlighted
Posted by
Photon

I took bad version for comercial user

Hello,

I took bad version for comercial user no for free user. Please change me this licesne.

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Re: I took bad version for comercial user

So, I've put in my request to go back to the free versionin mid February.  Sent in the additional form on March 4, and STILL have not been restored.  Why in the world does this take so long, and why doesn't anyone respond?????  Customer service for TV is absolutely horrible!

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Re: Commercial Use Suspected form - unable to process request because of Commercial used suspected....again

Ive been using TV for w while now and i have found that when I try to connect to my daughter laptop when she is in Hawaii, I keep getting disconnected because of a slow internet connection. The same thing happens to my brother in Vegas.  Now...if i try to reconnect after being connected for 30 secs i then cant reconnect for 15 min.   Teamviewer has removed the flag several times, but now I cant even use Teamviewer to remote into a computer at my home for the same stupid problem.  I'm not understanding why i keep getting flagged for this.  I reached out to teamviewer several times and now i get no responce.  If my family didnt need my help i would not even think about using teamviewer anymore.  This is so **Bleep**. i've tried to call for support, but i keep getting hung up on.  Any suggestions on how to get someone for help to fix this?

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

Re: Commercial Use Suspected form - unable to process request because of Commercial used suspected....again

This is a nervy "Never Ending Story". I fail to see why Teamviewer is pursuing this course, but as I wrote before, I assume a rather new manager came out this gem. It is destroying TVs good name and Image. People will look for alternatives. I assume this is exactly what TV wants - cut the freeware...perhaps commercially sensible, but let us have a clean cut then and not this slow death.
Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

Re: About personal use

yes everyone that has a personal use account  is getting flagged

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

I submitted a commercial use form almost 2 months ago and I have not got any feedback. Meanwhile, I still cant connect to my moms computer and she has constant issues.  

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

I finally spoke to someone from team viewer by calling the sales number for support and they told me that the reason that i was probally flagged is because the internet connect connection of the computer that i'm trying to connect to is probally a commercial internet.  Well...I just thought, arent they all? or were they feeding me bull.  Reason i think so, my daughter does not have internet where shes visiting and so she goes to dennys or the Hotel and uses their wifi, well this is a commercial internet for personal use or at her condo where they provide internet vie Cox Communications or at my other daughters internet in her dorm room is commercial internet.  I even have comcast at home and i get flagged just for logging into my computer at home....the same house. Is that commercial?  So whats the point?  

I asked the IT guy at my job about this and he said that they are lying about the connection because Domains tells if the internet is business or not. Example (Comcast Business or Comcast residential, Cox Business or Cox residential, WOW Business or Wow residential)  I dont know how they tell, but if my connection is in my home, then its a home internet.  Am i wrong?

Highlighted
Posted by
Digon

HELLO TEAM VIEWER, DOES ANYONE ACTUALLY WORK HERE?????   I have done everything you have asked for and still NO response or restoration.  I started this process February 20, then when I was asked to fill out the exemption form, did that on March 4.  Now over a week later from that STILL ZERO RESPONSE.  This thread is full of the same issue and you apparently do not care at all about your customer service.  I have been using this for quite a while now and can't believe the lack of contact and support.  Clearly no one complaining of this issue actually uses TV commerciall because we would all be out of business by now waiting about a month for a response from you.  Why can't you get it together on this issue?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Highlighted
Posted by
Electron

Got a response to my unlock request. "Your TeamViewer ID has been reset to free TV:**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**"   But ... the first thing I saw was a message about commercial use and extortion of money.   Nothing changed.

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

I suspect the long delays are deliberate and is a filter to see who really is a non-commercial user for the reason you mentioned. @TeamViewer: Can you please stop this practise and if the free version is to be scrapped then tell us. That is much better than your current practise or release a non-commercial viewer for a reasonable yearly fee. But stop the current TeamViewer non-commercial application policy.
Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

Re: Account is free but session log out automatically saying business trial

The solution does not work after 3 attempts!!! I'm not using commercially whatsoever.
Highlighted
Posted by
Electron

I am having same problem. Use Teamviewer to help my family and it thinks I am using it commerically. I am not using it commerically.

Please advise how I  can fix this issue.

@TeamViewer 

Highlighted
Posted by
Trigon

@orion330 wrote:

I am having same problem. Use Teamviewer to help my family and it thinks I am using it commerically. I am not using it commerically.

Please advise how I  can fix this issue.

@TeamViewer 

You can't, try reading the comments preceding yours to get s good idea what's going on here

Sorry to sound harsh but unfortunately it's true.

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Commercial problem

Hi I use a free version program. Even though I don't use the program commercially, I get error that I use it this way and my connection is blocked for some time. The problem arose when I used it to connect to my girlfriend's new computer... 

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Petition for revision

I really really hope TV will rework this system into something more reasonable.
At the moment, they're just making life worse for users AND themselves.

All kinds of babies are being thrown out with the bathwater here.

What we need is:

• Less faulty "detection" / more real-life realistic definition of commercial use, to avoid those countless false positives in the first place
  • Dedication to resolving the logged issues. Replying to people. Following through.
  • Once a user gets restored as free, which ever steps led to the initial flagging need to be whitelisted for that user, otherwise it'll just happen again

I've started a petition on Change.org:

http://chng.it/XpxmpVHKdZ

Please sign and share. Maybe we can get their attention.

Highlighted
Posted by TeamViewer Star
TeamViewer Star

Re: Petition for revision

Buonasera @Black_Platypus,

ti rispondo in italiano, dato il link con la petizione che hai riportato è italiano. Il primo suggerimento è quello di evitare di utilizzare espressioni figurative: il destinatario è spesso madrelingua tedesco e difficilmente potrebbe apprezzare/capire la frase del "criaturo buttato con tutta l'acqua del bagnetto".

Fatta questa precisazione, ci sono due cose che sono difficilmente attuabili rispetto alla tua richiesta. Primo: le politiche di controllo tra uso sospetto e non sospetto sono a totale discrezione del fornitore. Non penso che una petizione possa risolvere. Puoi vedere se nel mercato italiano esistono alternative e mi pare di si.

Secondo: si tratta di un momento contingente, legato al COVID-19, quello che sta creando disservizi nel fornire risposte tempestive ai quesiti degli utilizzatori. Non mi riferisco esclusivamente a quelli di TeamViewer. Ti posso assicurare che è tutta l'infrastruttura di rete mondiale ad essere sotto stress, dato che in brevissimo tempo è radicalmente cambiato il modo di utilizzare internet. Molti provider hanno venduto in passato connettività alle famiglie sapendo che il loro utilizzo sarebbe stato prevalentamente concentrato nelle ore serali e nei festivi, mentre negli orari lavorativi erano le aziende ad occupare la fetta maggiore della banda. Ora che tutti si collegano da casa e a tutte le ore, potrai ben comprendere quanto il sistema stia cercando di rincorrere e star dietro alla nuova domanda. Si, ci sono stati dei disservizi e continueranno ad essercene nei prossimi giorni, poi piano piano il sistema si assesterà. Questa è una Community e quelli che ti rispondono non seguono spesso la parte commerciale, ma principalmente problemi legati all'utilizzo del prodotto. Se hai avuto un disservizi e sei un cliente, esiste uno strumento per l'apertura dei ticket; anche in questo caso le risposte potrebbero non arrivare nei tempi che ti aspetti, ma da utente pagante hai tutti gli strumenti per rivalerti. Una petizione, in questo senso, non serve; meglio lasciarle per questioni di più ampia portata collettiva.

Fatte queste due osservazioni, ne aggiungo un'altra. TeamViewer è uno strumento che consente di assistere le persone a distanza; è nato dunque principalmente per risolvere la mission delle teleassistenze. Pensare che collegarsi da casa al proprio pc dell'ufficio corrisponda a lavorare in smartworking è una delle cose che ritengo sostanzialmente assurde. Non è TeamViewer lo strumento per operare in smartworking.

Sostanzialmente mi dispiace per i disservizi che hai rilevato e ti auguro possano essere risolti nel minor tempo possibile.

Cordiali saluti

Domenico Langone
MCSD: App Builder
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others.
Find this helpful? Say thanks by clicking on the Thumbs Up button.
Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Re: Petition for revision

@DomLanChange.org just gave me the *.it TLD Link to share. I assume it's supposed to be a mnemonic device and a readable, short address ("change it" -> chng.it)

I think Google Translate did a good job though.

I'm German myself, but I think the saying "to throw the baby out with the bath water" is commonplace enough.
But I appreciate your concern that figurative language should be avoided and I removed that part.

I know that it's up to TV and their contractors how to go about flagging IDs. But since it's clearly going poorly and they're creating lots and lots of unnecessary work for themselves with the way things are right now, I am strongly advocating for change.

I hadn't much considered COVID-19's effect here. Thank you for pointing it out.
However, most of the 99(!) pages this thread has should have nothing to do with that.

Of course I'm not a paying customer, that's why I'm here. I was looking to see what everybody else's experience was with resolution to the problem, and it did not look great.
Now I'm trying to see if we can inspire some reconsiderations.

I don't know what you mean by smartworking, but neither do I have an "office PC", nor do I plan on sitting in a remote session for hours trying to work on my home PC (although I would defend the latter if I had to).
Currently I'm trying to get some configuration things done and copy some files from home while I live in a rehab facility with my laptop for all but 4 days per month; and in general I have friends and family I'd like to help on an irregular basis.

Highlighted
Posted by
Henagon

Flagged License

This is getting really annoying. used teamviewer for years with no problem. Now my home main PC gets flagged I can't connect to it for longer than 20 seconds before it kicks me off, I submit a ticket and now my server PC at home gets flagged. What the **bleep** is going on. I've tried submitting the stupid ticket to get it unflagged but nothing happens. Im the only one connecting to my own PCs how is it even flagging it.