Unable to install v15 after removing v12 - Windows 7

Options
jmosk
jmosk Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited June 2023 in General questions

This has been frustrating as the install keeps hanging during the installation at Copy to C:\Teamviwer\RollbackTemp\Teamviewer_.exe I have uninstalled v12. I have removed all references to teamviewer in the registry. I have rebooted the laptop. I have run the installation as an administrator and each time it hangs in the same spot. V12 worked fine but I needed to go to v15 to have a remote group control my PC. But regardless of everything I have done i cant get v15 to install. It never gets past this point of the installation process.

There is no one available for live support and I would not purchase a license on software i can not even install which apparently the only way to receive live support.

Answers

• .Carol.fg.
    .Carol.fg. Posts: 1,079 Moderator
    Options

Hi @jmosk ,

Welcome and thank you for reaching out to our Community!

Please double-check if the device is compatible with the newest version as explained in the article: Supported operating systems for TeamViewer Remote.

You can also try our steps for the advanced uninstallation of TeamViewer here.

Let us know if the advanced uninstall resolves the problem. 🍀

Best, Carol

Portuguese Community Moderator

• jmosk
    Options

Windows 7 is compatible with the v15 as per the compatibility table. As I already noted, I did edit the registry to remove all traces of teamviewer which is the advanced instructions you pointed to. I saw the issue mentioned in prior threads and many got through this issue by installing as administrator. But in my case this did not resolve the problem.

• jmosk
    Options

So I am still stuck and unable to install teamviewer onto my Windows 7 laptop. Always hangs up at the same spot one-third of the way through the installation progress and just hangs there. The log file had a message that said failed during copy. No further insight.

• .Carol.fg.
    Options

Hi @jmosk ,

Thanks for the additional details.

I could not reproduce the issue on my side.

• Have you tried to install a previous version and then update it to the newest version?

I know this is not the ideal resolution, but I wonder if a previous version would install or if it would give the same issue.

I'm looking forward to your feedback. 🙋‍♀️

Best, Carol

• jmosk
    edited June 2023
    Options

I will try that but I had v12 which was working on my laptop but was unable to update it to v15. So uninstalled and tried a fresh full download and ran into the reported problem. Here is the error log of the install

[logfiles removed per Community Guidelines]

• jmosk
    Options

Hung up in the same spot trying to install v14

• jmosk
    Options

Unlike the v15 install, v14 did not create a teamviewer folder with a log file in it. And the install progress bar stopped at the same stop bu the message window was empty whereas the v15 showed the copy message I noted in the first post in this thread.

• jmosk
    Options

I tried installing the 32 bit version of v15 instead of the 64 bit version but the same results.

• jmosk
    Options

I did get a log file on the last try. Guidelines say not to post log files. But the last message is TVInitRollback() create scheduled task for restore. Unlike the prior try with the 64-bit version, it did not show a copy error just before this message in the log file

• jmosk
    Options

So I remain unable to install v15 since removing v12.

• .Carol.fg.
    Options

Hi @jmosk,

Thanks for testing it out and for all the information provided.

At this point, a logfile investigation would be necessary for further troubleshooting.

Please know that our support team is reserved for clients with a license. So if you have a license, please create a support ticket with all the details of the issue, everything you tried as well as the logfiles from your device.

If possible, please share with our Community the resolution of the issue. 🙋‍♀️

We thank you for your understanding, let me know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Best, Carol

• jmosk
    Options

I did not see any log file created for the last try to install v15.

I do not have a licensed account and would not even consider one when I can’t even install the software on my laptop.

So does a failure to install the v15 software remain as an unresolved issue for some potential users because they have not purchased a license? So is this forum of no assistance for problems that have not been resolved before? I would think the vendor would be interested in knowing why their software has some condition which blocks the ability to install it.

• .Carol.fg.
    Options

Hi @jmosk,

Thanks for your feedback and additional details!

Rest assured that our Community is here to help. 😄 Our Community is user-driven, and as you mentioned previously, many got through this issue by installing as administrator, so it seems there's something more happening with your device.

I know you mentioned you already clear the registry files, but I would advise double-checking all the locations again following the steps in our article as well as the location you first mentioned C:\Teamviwer\RollbackTemp\ .

You could also try to create a brand new admin account on the device just to rule out a possible issue with the first admin account.

Let us know how it goes! 🍀

Best, Carol

• jmosk
    Options

All these steps have already been attempted including the user of an alternate admin account. Same results every time.

This is the problem with a user-based forum only. We are not getting support from the vendor who would have more insight into the issue and other diagnostic tools that could be used to track down the reason for the failure to install. If no other users have come up with a solution, we are stuck.

There should be a level of escalation when users are at a loss to move forward. This way additional solutions can be added tothe form for others that may run into the same issues in the future.

Unfortunately, this has a rippling effect as the failure to install teamviewer makes it impossible to install other software by a remote party which needs teamviewer to install their software by taking control of the laptop where teamview fails to load. They have automotive software to be loaded in a speical manor once they can take control of the laptop.

• .Carol.fg.
    Options

Hi @jmosk,

We appreciate your feedback!

Regarding the issue and folder C:\Teamviwer\RollbackTemp\, is the folder created when TeamViewer crashes during the installation?

• If the folder is there, it could be that it has left over from a previously failed installation, so you may try to delete it.
    • If the folder is not there it could be that it was removed incorrectly and perhaps you could try creating the folder again.

Let us know how it goes! 🙋‍♀️

Best, Carol

• jmosk
    Options

I erase that folder before attempting to install the software. It was recreated and the installation .exe file is put there but no log file is being created.

• jmosk
    Options

Are we left with any options to have someone from teamviewer support determine why their product will not install?

• jmosk
    Options

Since I do not have a paid account yet, I can not submit a ticket to support this major problem. But I can't even install the free version of teamviewer so why would I consider purchasing a paid account? Looks like I am between a rock and a hard place.

• .Carol.fg.
    Options

Hi @jmosk,

Thanks for testing it!

Is your Windows 7 up to date? If not, could you try to update it?

You could try using an app of your preference to remove/uninstall TeamViewer, and after doing all pending updates in the OS, you could reinstall the latest version again running it as admin.

You can also run the command line sfc /scannow to scan all protected system files and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that is located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache .

I hope this helps! Let us know how it goes. 🍀

Best, Carol