Commercial use - Connection time out

Comments

• HI,

I just used Teamviewer to solve an elderly relative's problems and it worked perfectly - however after half an hour or so it kept logging me out with the "This session was sponsored... " please play fair etc. 

Can you let me know what time limits are imposed for future reference please?

Thanks

• Bruno40
    Bruno40 Posts: 3 ✭✭

Which server ?  I am retired programmer and my connection is to my friend with the same age.

We both have no one server and aren't not working for a company.

• HookyB
    HookyB Posts: 1

I have the same experience. I'm not a business user and have no company. But take over some PC's for old folks with computer problems. Now with latest teamviewer connection was broken and a message appeared that I was suspected of commercial use!!!!!  If teamviewer have gone that bad I'll search for alternatives instead like **Third Party Product**. **Third Party Product** is from former Teamviewer workers who where unsatisfied with how Teamviewer evolved, and **Third Party Product** is still free for home use and is even faster. Teamviewer is indeed degraded now. A very dissapointed personal home user.

• IF I HAVE READ THEM, A LOT OF PAGES, BUT I DO NOT FIND THE FORM TO CONTACT THE VIEWER EQUIPMENT TO BE ABLE TO RESOLVE IT.
  • HERE IS THE LINK:
    Fill out this form to request the unlocking of your TeamViewer ID:

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/commercial-use-suspected/

• kingmustard
    kingmustard Posts: 8 ✭✭

I have a Plex server in my home.

What are you on about?

• TeamViewer thinks I’m using the software commercially! where do I get the form to reset the status?

• @smh wrote:

Hi I use teamviewer all 10 years for my own computers and today I suddenly get the idea that I use it for commercial use the case is my question is what can I do about it?
    and can only work for 5 minutes at a distanceCapture.PNG

:catsad::smileyindifferent:

• Beastmais27
    Beastmais27 Posts: 1

Hello,

I am also having similar issues with a familly member ipad.

1. Ipad are running IOS 12.0.1 with Quicksupport 14.0.141451

2. Windows 7 Comptuer using 13.2.26558

It after seconds of being connect with them the Ipad send a notification informing them that: 

TeamViewer Session will be disconnected in 1 minute. Screen Sharing will continue. 

After the minute passes teamviewer dicoonected and even though it says that the screen sharing will continue, it does not at all.

As Nikoas posted, my family member just got this ipad not even a 4 days ago, brand new.

Please let me know if i am missing some sort of option, or whatever is causing this. I have been trying to find i any information on how to solve this issue.

Thank you very much for you time,

Beastmais27

• Andre75
    Andre75 Posts: 73 ✭✭

@dogsdb37 wrote:

@smh wrote:

Hi I use teamviewer all 10 years for my own computers and today I suddenly get the idea that I use it for commercial use the case is my question is what can I do about it?
    and can only work for 5 minutes at a distanceCapture.PNG

:catsad::smileyindifferent:

@dogsdb37

Hi,

Sorry, but there is no way (except if you pay for a commercial license).

I sent you a detailed reply to explain you why you can no longer use TeamViewer free of charge (and some information that could be helpful to you). But this response was removed as it's been judged "inappropriate" by a censor of this forum... Please, forgive him as he is unaware of what he has done... Sorry for this.... You can also thank this "moderator" for the great help he brought to you.

André

• Glassdub
    Glassdub Posts: 79 ✭✭

Back to work after a week, I can now log on with the marked PC w/o a bump but I get this popup, if I close out I can continue using, whatever, I guess I'm glad its working, hope it lasts...

2018-10-25 03_39_19-TeamViewer.png

• stevep
    stevep Posts: 18 ✭✭

Looks like they may finally have fixed it!

Perhaps the pressure to act fairly from this group has finally had an effect...

• Glassdub

Even though this PCs usage is no more commercial than the other unmarked work PC which is not at all, the only difference in that the unmarked PC is a generic user account w/o a saved TV password logon.

• I am getting unable to connect (maximum session duration reached) or free session  notice (NON-COMMERCIAL USE ONLY) when using TV on my iPhone.

I have business acoount, it is activated & management console shows the iPhone installation.

Can anyone help?

• stevep

It would seem that the faulty algorithm is the same, but they have changed the result action from cutting the user off to simply reminding them they should register if they are using TV commercially. I would guess that they may eventually revise the detection algorithm to properly identify commercial users.

In any case, TV is back up and running for us non-commercial users - better late than never!

• Andre75

@stevep wrote:

It would seem that the faulty algorithm is the same, but they have changed the result action from cutting the user off to simply reminding them they should register if they are using TV commercially. I would guess that they may eventually revise the detection algorithm to properly identify commercial users.

In any case, TV is back up and running for us non-commercial users - better late than never!

@stevep

A  wise, reasonable, revision of this algorithm, that's what we all were expecting. I would wish you are right !... Unless you are shouting "victory" too fast !... before being blocked once more, within a few sessions later, for "suspicion of commercial use" again (for you, or the one you are control remoting, which will induce the same issue) ?

Hope you are not wrong. But, wait and see...

André

• Glassdub

Its still working today, like I said I hope it lasts...

• stevep

I realise you could be right, Andre, given the history we have seen in this thread. But some things are now different. I never received any response or notification of a reset in answer to the form I completed, so I have never been informed that my personal use status has been reinstated, and also the message that appears when I start a connection has changed. Before, you were told that TV believed you were a commercial user, and that your session would be limited to a few minutes. Now the message says they think you are a commerical user, then invites you buy a licence. If you ignore the nag screen and close it, everything works as before. I have noticed one potential difference; when I left a session running and came back a few hours later, it had timed out. I don't know if that's something new, or just a glitch, but it could possibly be a problem if you needed a connection to stay open for a long period for some reason. Anyway, give it a try and see what result you get.

• Glassdub

It does time out but no more than it did before in my case, I only think it timed out yesterday less than 3 times in a 12 hour shift.

• Andre75

@stevep wrote:

I realise you could be right, Andre, given the history we have seen in this thread. But some things are now different. I never received any response or notification of a reset in answer to the form I completed, so I have never been informed that my personal use status has been reinstated, and also the message that appears when I start a connection has changed. Before, you were told that TV believed you were a commercial user, and that your session would be limited to a few minutes. Now the message says they think you are a commerical user, then invites you buy a licence. If you ignore the nag screen and close it, everything works as before. ... ...

Anyway, give it a try and see what result you get.

@stevep

Hi stevep !

Actually, it seems there are different cases for the same result ! You are suddenly blocked and can't help anymore your friends and family.

My case was just, after a few seconds use : I got blocked with the following message : "It was a TeamViewer sponsored free session... bla bla bla"... etc. ... And I couldn't get anymore  any one's connection (of course, neither me nor my friends and family was using TeamViewer in any professional environment, nor for so-called "commercial use". It means we all use our personal computer from our home private network... and never make any business, or any money with).
    I got reset once, after 1 month wait from the day I sent "the form", w/o any information about... Then, of course, I got blocked again after 2 or 3 sessions !

So, to control remote my friends and family's computers, I don't use TeamViewer any longer.

I just still follow up this topic because I feel it's a very unfair (I should say "crazy") situation... Not because TeamViewer decided to stop its free use (I said already it is fully the right of its managers)... But because they don't tell it frankly, they refuse to communicate about this, , and they persist to say it's still possible to use it for free.
    I would say that it is not a normal conception of honesty.

The below pictures are from TeamViewer's Chart :

TV Chart-Personal use.png

• Glassdub

I never got reset, it has been blocked on the same work pc for a good 2 months, the difference now is that I just get the "suggestion" to pay popup instead of getting bumped off after a minute, The pc in question is still obviously marked (Wrongly) for commercial use & not reset.

• Andre75

@Glassdub wrote:

I never got reset, it has been blocked on the same work pc for a good 2 months, the difference now is that I just get the "suggestion" to pay popup instead of getting bumped off after a minute, The pc in question is still obviously marked (Wrongly) for commercial use & not reset.

@Glassdub

Hi Glassdub !

What do you mean by "work PC" ?... If you mean a computer that you use at work, connected on a professional network, (and possibily via a server with an OS such as 'Windows Server' or other), it means "Professional use", and it's normal that this computer is detected for what it is.

The main title of this topic, as same as most of the complaints posted on, obviously mean all other cases that only and really use TeamViewer out of a professional environment. In one word, those who should be allowed to use it for free but they are not.

Sorry if I misunderstand your case, and thanks to clarify.

(* Anyhow, I would say, if the only remaining problem is this "paying suggestion pop up", but you can use it without being blocked, it's just a bit boring, but not a big problem. The question is still : for how long time ?... and it can be scary as you never know if your distant friend will not be planted in a mess).

André

• Glassdub

Its very common for TV users to use it at work to phone home to a pc, I'm sure I'm not the only one, I'm not making money from this so it is not commercial use whether its detected as such or not. As I made clear earlier, I use 2 PCs at work to phone home (in addition to my notebook.) both are on the same work network with the same OS (Win 7 Pro), one is marked commercial the other not. I couldn't use the marked PC for 2 months I was off for a week when I came back it now works with the "new" popup (one time nag) as posted a few posts back, I'm sure I'm not the only one that is so lucky.

• Andre75

@Glassdub wrote:

Its very common for TV users to use it at work to phone home to a pc, I'm sure I'm not the only one, I'm not making money from this so it is not commercial use whether its detected as such or not. As I made clear earlier, I use 2 PCs at work to phone home (in addition to my notebook.) both are on the same work network with the same OS (Win 7 Pro), one is marked commercial the other not. I couldn't use the marked PC for 2 months I was off for a week when I came back it now works with the "new" popup (one time nag) as posted a few posts back, I'm sure I'm not the only one that is so lucky.

@Glassdub

If you  control remote your home computer from work with your phone which is connected in WiFi at your office network, it means you are considered as "Professional use". By the way, if one of you work PC is marked and not the other, it means you are lucky.

As you say : "Its very common for TV users to use it at work to phone home to a pc, I'm sure I'm not the only one" ... That's exactly why TeamViewer decided to deploy this algorithm which is "so much efficient" that it detects also as "Commercial users" those who are absolutely NOT.

But your case is clear, you really use it as "Professional use" (I mean according to the rules of TeamViewer). The question is not that you make money or not, but just that you use TV from a professional corporate network.

That's none of my business and you can do what you like, but you cannot complain.

If you want to know more about what is "Professional use" (still according to TV rules), just read it there :  https://www.teamviewer.com/en/pricing/commercial-use/?_ga=2.**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**.**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**.**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**-**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**.**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**

In addition, the true "Personal users" can understand better whom they have to be grateful for this so much efficient algorithm which detects them as "Commercial users". Thanks for them !

• Andre75

@Glassdub wrote:

@Glassdub

@Glassdub

If you  control remote your home computer from work with your phone which is connected in WiFi at your office network, it means you are considered as "Professional use". By the way, if one of your work PC is marked and not the other, it just means you are lucky.

As you say : "Its very common for TV users to use it at work to phone home to a pc, I'm sure I'm not the only one" ... That's exactly why TeamViewer decided to deploy this algorithm which is so much "efficient" that it detects also as "Commercial users" those who are absolutely NOT.

But your case is clear, you really use it as "Professional use" (I mean according to the rules of TeamViewer). The question is not that you make money or not, but just that you use TV from a professional corporate network.

That's none of my business and you can do what you like, but you cannot complain.

If you want to know more about what is "Professional use" (still according to TV rules), just read it there :  What is "Commercial use"

In addition, the true "Personal users" can understand better whom they have to be grateful for this so much efficient algorithm which detects them as "Commercial users". Thanks for them ! (as you say, you are not the only one indeed who doesn't play fair... but you do it just because you probably never read the TeamViewer rules ).

• Andre75

@Glassdub wrote:

@Glassdub

If you  control remote your home computer from work with your phone which is connected in WiFi at your office network, it means you are considered as "Professional use". By the way, if one of you work PC is marked and not the other, it means you are lucky.

As you say : "Its very common for TV users to use it at work to phone home to a pc, I'm sure I'm not the only one" ... That's exactly why TeamViewer decided to deploy this algorithm which is "so much efficient" that it detects also as "Commercial users" those who are absolutely NOT.

But your case is clear, you really use it as "Professional use" (I mean according to the rules of TeamViewer). The question is not that you make money or not, but just that you use TV from a professional corporate network.

If you want to know more about what is "Professional use" (still according to TV rules), just read it there :  https://www.teamviewer.com/en/pricing/commercial-use/?_ga=2.**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**.**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**.**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**-**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**.**Please do not post TeamViewer IDs**

In addition, the true "Personal users" can understand better whom they have to be grateful for this so much efficient algorithm which detects them as "Commercial users". Thanks for them !
    (As you say, you are not the only one indeed... who doesnt play fair... But you probably did it because you never read the TeamViewer rules).

• origami
    origami Posts: 12 ✭✭

There is NO SUCH THING as an algorithm to detect commercial usage.  How would a computer know whether you are using software to make money or not?

The only algorithm that works is TRUSTING YOUR USERS, showing respect for your free tier customers, and incentivising them to purchase your paid products by providing excellent service and enticing extra carrots for your paid tier that the free tier folks might find desirable.

• Andre75

@origami wrote:

There is NO SUCH THING as an algorithm to detect commercial usage.  How would a computer know whether you are using software to make money or not?

... ... ...

... ... ....

@origami

Obviously there is an algorithm. But of course not to detect if you make money or not... that's impossible (unless you claim it by writing or speaking while your sessions).

This algorithm "can" just detect (at least it is supposed to) if you are using TeamViewer to a corporate network or a private one.

• Glassdub

Where is it written that running TV from a "corporate network" for PRIVATE USE constitutes commercial use??? This would eliminate probably over half the users.

• origami
    origami Posts: 12 ✭✭

>Where is it written that running TV from a "corporate network" for PRIVATE USE constitutes >commercial use??? This would eliminate probably over half the users.

Amen, exactly right.  Teamviewer seems to think they have the right to redefine the English language so that "commercial usage" includes connecting to your Grandmother's computer via McDonald's WiFi, because McDonald's is a corporate entity.