Commercial use - Connection time out

Comments

• Any solution here? I don't even see how to submit a ticket to resolve this

• I use my TV between my phone, my Grandmother's PC and all of my computers at home - a mix of windows and linux computers.

When I was logged in to two PC's I got a message saying that "business use was detected" and that I "would be logged out in 5 minutes"

As previously mentioned, I use this for personal use only... How and why does TV think my usage is "business"?

I literally use it to connect to my computers at home while on the move with my cellphone and to help my grandmother fix her computer (still personal use)

You can not detect personal or business use by code. So I would like to know what factors are used to "detect" this. Because clearly it does not work.

• @mys5droid 

You are correct, the methodology they use to determin Commercial vs Home use is based upon the Source and Destination IP address and nothing else. So if you are connecting from your house to someone elses house then those IP's are (Should) be in their Database or whatever database they are using as home IP addresses. Goto the Library, that's commercial and your blocked, goto an internet Cafe, commercial and your blocked, Goto a school or university, commecrial and your blocked.

As per the E-Mail I recieved from TV...

Furthermore, please keep in mind that a TeamViewer connection always
      involves two devices (TeamViewer IDs) and the pop-up might be displayed
      because of the remote side.

So they check both the Source and Destination IP, and if either one is for whatever reason on their list of Commercial IP's, they block it. You can fill out the form, write a letter, donate blood and sacrafice you first born child, and it will not make a lick of difference. If your on what they list as a commercial IP Address your screwed and there is not recourse to resolve the issue other than to try a different product I'm afraid to say.

• Steve-in-FL
    Steve-in-FL Posts: 27 ✭✭

"You are correct, the methodology they use to determin Commercial vs Home use is based upon the Source and Destination IP address and nothing else."

That cannot be correct, as multiple people have reported that they have several IDs in one location and that only some of them are flagged. This is my situation as well. I have 7 IDs within my home and one of them is flagged when connecting with any of the others. The others all work to any others in the group.

There have to be additional characteristics that TeamViewer takes into account. (Incorrectly, it appears.)

I sent in the standard form for each of the IDs I use. It worked for all but that one ID, referenced above. They just sent me a new form to sign asking me to swear that I am non-commercial. I just sent it in this morning. Let's see if they unflag that ID. I'll keep everyone posted.

• With no word from TV to explain how this happens, and with no responses to unflag the users we will never know.

Life is to short. Find another solution. TV isn't going to do anything to help us. I made adjustments and moved on. I also will ensure I have reviewed TV anywhere possible to ensure out potential users are aware of this arbitrary process. 

• Steve-in-FL

"With no word from TV to explain how this happens, and with no responses to unflag the users we will never know."

Well, I wouldn't say "no responses." Some people have had IDs unblocked, so that's a response. I believe some people have said they received followup emails. So, TeamViewer is not doing nothing. But, that doesn't excuse the fact that the responses are not sufficient. I would submit to you, that if they unblocked all of the IDs that people submitted on the forms, no one would be complaining.

• Take it how you want. Everybody has their own interpretation of events.

What I submit is, most people on this thread have submitted requests to have their issue reviewed and possibly unlocked/corrected. I would also submit most people have received no response. 

I submitted my request a couple of times and have yet to have one response. If TV reviewed my ID's and determined that it was commercial use (which it surely isn't), don't you believe a response is warranted either way? 

In my opinion, there response is not consistent and is arbitrary. To me, this shows a lack of professionalism. 

• @kfsutops 

I agree with you, but if you would have read my previous post about their lack of response, it might shed some light on the potential reason you have gotten no response.

In my vast experience as a computer technician, web developer and internet entrepreneur since the 1990s, I have dealt with countless internet companies and I have seen a consistent trend in dealing with them.  This trend is that they seek to avoid conflict at all cost, and this endeavor to avoid conflict can certainly be perceived as a lack of professionalism, and I personally agree with you that it is most definitely a lack of professionalism. 

However, the unfortunate reality of the situation is that dealing with conflict, cost money, time and resources. Thus, almost no internet company allocates serious resources to conflict resolution departments for their FREE services.  For paying customers, they will listen to your complaints all day long, but when you are a Free user, every minute they are talking to you, is costing them money, and the company cannot justify to its investors the expense of providing paid level support to users of free services.  As undesirable as this is, it is simply a fact and reality of internet life.

In my experience, the normal process by which most companies handle conflict resolution with users of FREE services is this.  If the answer to your problem is, YES, they will send you a confirmation of this.  If the answer to your request is, NO, they prefer to not respond at all.  Why is this?  Because when they say,  YES, that is the end of the matter; but when they say NO, that is just extending the matter which will require further involvement of their CS department, which cost them money.

So what does this mean?  It means that if you have submitted a request to have your account returned to Free status and they did not respond, it probably means that after looking at your explanation, they did not believe you or they were not convinced.  So, they simply chose not to respond in order to prevent further conflict. 

Is this why they have responded not to you, I have no idea?  All I am saying is that I submitted my request and they responded in less than 72 hours. So, that is evidence that there are people looking at the request.  If people are looking at the request, there is no logical reason why they would have looked at my first request, and not looked at your multiple requests. Logical deduction would indicate that your requests have been looked at.  If they have, then why have they not responded?  Well, it goes back to what the answer would be.  A YES answer would have certainly been sent out.  So, that only leaves the possibility that the answer was NO and they don't want to get into an argument about it. 

This is all my speculation about what MIGHT be going on for a lot of the people on here that have submitted requests and have not received answers.  I really have zero internal knowledge of how TV's CS department works. 

• Is the Blocked ID running a version of windows Server? (2008? 2010? 2012?) if so, then it's blocked as Servers are deemed to be "Commercial".

As to other OS's who knows as a Linux Desktop and Server are basically the same OS.

• @Johnhoward28 

I agree with you in principal that for a company to invest time into supporting "Free" users is a money pit that on the surface would be see by "Bean Counters" as a waste of resources. Without a doubt I can see your point.

However even witht hat said, I would suspect that there are a lat, and I do mean a lot of "Free" users who are, for want of a better term, "Not working". So kids, kids in School, who are supporting their friends, family, Aunts, Uncles using TV as the goto remote software.

Eventually those "Kids" will enter the workforce and bring with them a history of using TV as their "Goto" support device. The Heavy Handed way in which TV has fdecided to implement their blocking of what they deem to be "Commercial" use is deeply flawed. I've made this point a number of times here, but I'll say it again. To consider education establishments as "Commercial" is a huge mistake. Student's (Kids) I would suspect are a large portion of their "Free" users, and by cutting them off, forcing them to find alternatives to TV they are shooting themselves in the foot if you ask me. 

In short by cutting off educational establishments, from using their free version they are cutting off their next generation of users. 

Worse yet, but completely ignoring their "Free" user base, by not participating in thses message boards, buy not having at least one person listening and interacting with the community, even if we are not paying users is a huge mistake.

Personally I'm not willing to pay the $500/year for a Commercial license. The math does not work out, it would cost me close to $60 per connection to my Folks out east. It would actually be cheaper for me to fly out and visit them for a week every year then to pay the Commercial licensing fee.

Maybe a "Home" version would be the way to go. Let me connect remotely to my folks out east, disable the Voice, Video, File Transfer capabilities for the "Home" version and charge me $50/year. I'd be more than happy to pay that and not have to deal with this poorly implemented blocking system thay have imposed upon us.

As it stands I've gone around and removed TV form all the systems I had it installed on and have put a new (if not slightly more complex) method of assisting family ont he East coast when they require it.

Word of mouth is a powerful thing, my counterparts are all looking at alternatives and are activly discouraging people from using TV in favour of other options....

It's a pity, as they have a great product, but whoever it was that put this blocking system in place really needs to be taken to task and possibly shown the door if you ask me.

• sillycat41
    sillycat41 Posts: 7 ✭✭

I'm having the same problem.  Have used TV for many years... usually only once or twice a month... to help friends.  About a month ago I got the message that I was using it for business purposes, wrote to them and still have not heard back.  I think you're right... this is their way of telling us they no longer want us "free users".  Time to look for another program. 

• What ID needs to specified on the request form to unblock suspected commercial use?

The local ID?  each remote ID that is linked to my account ?

• Still no response. Really want to get this fixed. Thanks!

• I use TeamViewer not very often and since the last version, same problem like you guys.

It disconnects me and i have to wait 8 minutes to reconnect

• Once computer goes into sleep mode, I cant connect. Please advise.

• Steve-in-FL

@danik1956 wrote:

What ID needs to specified on the request form to unblock suspected commercial use?

The local ID?  each remote ID that is linked to my account ?

You must submit one form for each ID that you use. Your own ID and all the remote IDs on the other ends.

• Steve-in-FL

So, for what it's worth: I emailed in my signed form (not the initial one that lists the ID, but the one they specifically asked for in an email, where you swear you are not commercial) and, in less than 24 hours, that ID is now unblocked. I now have all 13 of my IDs unblocked. So for me the process worked. It remains to be seen for how long, but at the moment I am good.

Good luck to everyone who is still having trouble.

• They must have tweaked their commercial use algorithm because I been using a Chromebook  with the Chrome Teamviewer extension for many months with no issues.  I started getting the message a few days ago.   Using a chromebook with Teamviewer makes a lot of sense since the chromebook batteries last so darn long (mine 10hrs).  Until the correct the situation Teamviewer is almost unuseable.   BTW, I use Teamviewer on chomebook extension to primarily access only 1 computer.   Hardly commercial use.

• Any updates on this, or should I look for a different solution?

• I tried unsuccesfully to fill the form proposed in the link https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/commercial-use-suspected because it does not allow me to fill the "Affected teamviewer ID" field. I tried logged to the mngmt console, unlogged, from a normal browser, from hidden mode, I do not what is going on.

I use Teamviewer exclusively for friends and family, they need my help as I moved abroad from my country after living there for 50 years where I was the "computer support guy" as an advance user for many years. 

Please, help me get back to the full free version. 

Thanks

• I had a commercial account, but dropped it, since I am a single user, helping out friends & family. Recently, that lapsed, and I am back to being a free user. 

When I attempt to connect to a remote compuer, on my OWN home network, I am getting:

Either your license or your partner's license is blocked

How do I regain access?  HELP!!!

• Lunari
    Lunari Posts: 1
    edited February 2021

I have had this issue for what seems now months. Everytime i try to present my screen it times itself out after not even 2 minutes of it being up. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, i have waited for it to somehow fix istelf with an update (its been 3 or 4 updates now) and nothing works. I have messed with the settings and still nothing. Does anyone have any solutions?

• Same here. Thought it was just me.  I suddenly get a "your using this commercially" message on screen which couldn;t be farther from the truth.  

• honestly. while this issue has been happening.... i downloaded **Third Party Product** cuz i needed to watch my anime while not at home. cuz thats the only reason i use TV is to watch anime on my computer while im not home. 

[removed per Community Guidelines - Sales/Solicitation policy]

im sad i never knew about chromes version

• Yuri_T
    Yuri_T Posts: 2,256 [Former Staff]

Hi @alextprice ,

Thank you for your post.

In your case, it most likely is the devices you are connecting to that are flagged. Please submit the form for any other IDs you get the error from here.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards, Yuri

Former Japanese Community Moderator
  • My Setup

I have a personal (non-commercial) license key for Teamviewer and before my laptop and desktop upgraded to 14.6.2452 I never had any complaints about my usage being 'non-commercial' and it gives me a warning that the connection will be terminated in a few minutes. 

Problem

I have had it connected for about 15 minutes before since this started to happen and it has never disconnected early on me so I am not sure if this is just a bug it isn't actually triggering the functions that would disconnect my connections or what exactly is going on but I wanted to report it so that it could be addressed at some point. I am not doing anything, in particular, to set it off, and I am using Teamviewer in the same way that I always have so I do not think a change in behavior is the cause either.

Please let me know! 

• Apologies for not sharing an explanation on this earlier. This is actually a limitation on the iOS platform as they do not allow apps to go in the background. When the screen is being captured and streamed to the supporter device, the TeamViewer QuickSupport app needs to be backgrounded, and iOS will end up killing it as it has a short timer on apps backgrounded. Hence we stop it. So nothing is wrong from your side, this is how the feature is supported with the current platform limitations. Hope this helps.

• mo63
    mo63 Posts: 1

i have new update but its tell learn more cant connect.

• I do not use TW for commercial and sessions shorter than 5min. Only 30sec or less.