Announcements

Shape the future of your TeamViewer product with our Product Team. Click here to join!

Posted by ImJustACowLol
Henagon

This is redicilous: TV thinks I am using commercially, and offers no way to appeal.

So last week my TeamViewer account was falsely flagged for having commercial usage, which sucks. Here's the story.

I am a junior software engineer who enjoys his job. I am mainly involved in iOS development at the moment, but I enjoy making web-applications as well. As I am enthusiastic about software development, I often spend time at home working on private projects. One of these private projects is an administration system with which I can register the finances within my household. I also host a website from the server (publicly accesible) on which I provide access to free Java libraries which I have made. With none of these things I make any money. I use Apache TomCat, SQL Server, NodeJS and some other programs to host the administration website (Only accessible within my own wifi network) and the public website.

Obviously, I use TeamViewer to connect to that server whenever I have made a new feature in my administration web app. As the application is written in Angular, and I don't have much web-dev experience, I try out a lot of things and thus I regularly throw new files on the server. Furthermore, I use TeamViewer to connect to my home-server on which I keep all my files (like personal photos, videos etc.).

I have neve made a single dime off of that server or my usage of TeamViewer, yet I was flagged as using the software commercially.

Now the redicilous part comes here: when looking around on the website, TeamViewer offers no way for me to appeal this flag. I can't call them, as that's only for people who own paid licenses, and I can't open a support ticket as - again - that's only for people who own licences. I guess the forum is the only place where I can resort to right now.

Can my account please be properly reinstated?

Update

Also, if TeamViewer would've done a proper hardware check, they would have seen that the server would physically be incapable of even being used commercially. It only has 4GB of RAM, a hard disk that is nearly as slow as a floppy disk, and a really old Celeron 3150 CPU which can barely even run TeamViewer and YouTube at the same time...

Posted by ClaireMonkey
Digon

Re: This is redicilous: TV thinks I am using commercially, and offers no way to appeal.

I am in a similar situation. They did offer me an appeal form however, which states they will respond in 7 days, and I have yet to hear anything a good two weeks later. But might be worth your while to try, at least you could get on the list. Maybe they've flagged a lot of people recently! 

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/commercial-use-suspected/

Posted by md2
Henagon

Re: Meet the TeamA IAM ON A PRIVATE USER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A IAM ON A PRIVATE USER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEARS L;ONG

please give me back the private user status and non profite user 

Posted by ImJustACowLol
Henagon

Re: This is redicilous: TV thinks I am using commercially, and offers no way to appeal.

Thanks for the reply!

When I try that, and I tick "I'd like to receive a quotation by email" I receive nothing. I wonder if they're even processing those tickets.

Posted by ClaireMonkey
Digon

It definitely says "We are aiming to solve all requests within seven days. Please note that we will attend to every request." - so I certainly wouldn't expect an immediate response, though a confirmation of receipt would be nice! I'm living in hope that their request list is just so long that they're just taking a long time to get round to it. 

If I don't hear anything if the next couple of weeks, I'm going to send a message to their sales department, as it's the only way to contact them otherwise. They've told us an appeal process exists, they need to honour that!

Posted by airplane-4b7416
Henagon

suspect commercial licence

Good evening Community,

still problems with a suspect commercial licence.As explained in previous posts,i use TW14 at home and at my mother house where i control my radios,i am a ham operator ,and sometimes i connect to my workplace (school) where i have another radio/Yesterday,a friend of mine,another radio operator was trying to connectwith computer at my mother house but was logged out cause of suspect commercial use.How can i solve this problem?

Thank in advance,kind regards

sergio maria presentato

Posted by abc1208
Henagon

I think they are trying to get rid of free users as they cannot make profit from free users. They may just copy the act of another popular desktop remote access software to cancel the free version and only get paid version in the future.

The only thing you can do now is to find an alternative software and wait for the appeal. But you are most likely to get blocked soon after the unbolcked as something in your computer or your way of use trigger the commercial use detection again.

Posted by kstevenson
Henagon

Account Limited

Good Evening,

I put in a request at least 2 weeks ago to get my account unblocked for commercial use but it's still blocked.

I haven't had any response since submitting the request.

I have a single account, with a single computer added that I connect to from two locations (work and home).

Can someone have a look at my request please?
Posted by g4ugm
Digon

I agree, Many people have thus happen. Looks like they think they have decided only commercial users can use it. Does ASA cover web adverts...

Posted by JackHK
Pentagon

Re: Meet the TeamA IAM ON A PRIVATE USER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fill in the form and wait. Good luck!

Posted by JackHK
Pentagon

Re: suspect commercial licence

Fill in the form and wait! Good luck!

Posted by Kylian01
Trigon

Re: Free version of TeamViewer Issues

I did that but they do not respond in like 4 weeks i send again same thing

Posted by JackHK
Pentagon

Re: Account Limited

Fill in the form and wait. Good luck!

Posted by JackHK
Pentagon

i waited for 6 months with the account still blocked. Hence, be patience!

Posted by Kylian01
Trigon

If it takes them 6+ months to fix a problem with the commerciall use suspection people probaly switch to alternatives at that point

Posted by JackHK
Pentagon

It's >6 months,  I am still waiting !!! For sure I am using alternatives as well while  I am waiting. :-)

Posted by Kylian01
Trigon

i also use alternatives still sad that teamviewer dosnt fix this problem it does not seem to be so hard to fix and also we use non comerccial users dont even know what triggers this.

Posted by JackHK
Pentagon

i think it's more of they want to fix rather than they are able to fix! Good luck!

Posted by JackHK
Pentagon

Re: Connection blocked after timeout.

I used *** third party product***. That one is quite good.

Posted by Kylian01
Trigon

i do to

Posted by JackHK
Pentagon

Great mind thinks the same!!!

Posted by Tweaker
Digon

Don't forget to fill out the review form once you have uninstalled Teamviewer. Maybe that helps them realize they are not the only supplier of remote support tools.

[removed per Community Guidelines]

Posted by Airbag888
Digon

Well the one with V you need to know the IP right? Plus you need to setup Port forwarding etc. The A one you can autoconnect using some 'id' through firewalls with little to no configuration beyond installing the client

Posted by Kylian01
Trigon

i mainly use RMD for windows but i also have some linux computters and that is a bit more anoying soon i will just have a KVM and then i can fully ditch teamviewer

Why a KVM? well i have a cople of server non commercialy just for hobby and playing around with so yea a server is commercialy but that fully depends how you use it

Posted by kstevenson
Henagon

Hi,

It was three weeks ago I filled the form.

The response time is meant to be a week, it's been three times that.
Posted by Kylian01
Trigon

i think teamviewer dosnt care anymore for the non commercial users.

Posted by kstevenson
Henagon

Looks like it.
Posted by Ezio66
Henagon

Connection drop

Version 14

After about 3 minute the connection remote drop

I try to connect my sister fram my home and after dropping a banner ask me the time is finished you need to buy a license 

Could help me to resolve this issue ?

Regards

Posted by Closed account
Not applicable

Anybody know how to close an account.  I can't find the option on my account page.

Posted by Tweaker
Digon

I just did. Log in, go to edit profile and select ''delete account'' further down.

Make sure you first uninstall from your PC in order to be able to place your comments on the ''why do you want to remove'' page.

Posted by Closed account
Not applicable

Oh, thanks.  I must be going blind in my old age.   All instances of TV were removed from my three machines weeks ago!

Posted by Tweaker
Digon

Totally agree. I would have been more fair to be honest about it and announce a stop on free accounts. That would have allowed free users to have the time to install alternatives. Now they just block some people who are depending on it, for example to help out their elderly parents with PC problems....Shame on you Teamviewer!

Posted by da9el84
Digon

I actually received another form per email to fill out and sign, scan and send back to them. Did anyone else experience that?

Still waiting for about 2 weeks now.... 

I have found alternatives, but teamviewer is still king. 

A reason for teamviewer to keep their private tier alive is for one, that once you get used to using this privately, when you start new companies or get employed, you will probably buy their licens. I know I did the last 2 times I started companies years ago.

Now I just want to provide support to family members and manage my devices as usual, but no dice... 

Posted by pv7721
Hexagon

@da9el84 : yep, I did. I've submitted requests for all the TV ids I was connecting to (my computers, my mum's and my brothers). For one I received an email that it has been reset to free (but I don't know which one) and for another one I had to fill the form and never heard from them afterwards... But one day, without doing anything, lo and behold, it was working again!...

Posted by Ant1
Trigon

Re: TeamViewer thinks I’m using the software commercially!

You have to be very careful with dealing with TeamViewer. This company uses some very nasty tactics.

I was using the free version of team viewer for private meetings and just before an important one I was told I had to upgrade to the paid version without warning (I am not a commercial user). The meeting was very important so I had no choice but to pay up.

I then saw that the correct amount was taken out of my account so I didn't bother opening the invoice. That was a big mistake, as in the fine print in the invoice it says that the next year they will automatically renew the license unless 28 days notice is given. They did not mention that in the e-mail. Also, when it came time to renew they did not give any warning about the renewal and their 28 days notice and so suddenly I found hundreds of dollars taken from my account for a product which I no longer use.

When I contacted support and explained that I no longer used TeamViewer their response was that the "invoice cannot be cancelled". That is an incredibly dishonest response. They don't have control over their own finances? 

I have been completely cheated by this company - first to get me in and then with the renewal (which they increased the price on by $100 as well). I have been done for over $1,000 by Teamviewer. My only recourse is consumer affairs and social media. The good news is that I have plenty of time for that. I hope that no-one else gets **bleep** in the way that I have been.

Posted by Ant1
Trigon

It doesn't care about the commercial ones either

Posted by DougMcDougal
Electron

Support won't help with this topic

I had signed up to use the personal version of teamviewer. Somehow, it is saying that I have a commercial version and the free trial has expired. Do I need to delete teamviewer from the affected computer and start over? I have no need for a commercial license.

Posted by airplane-4b7416
Henagon

Hi JackHK,

where is the form to fill????

Posted by JackHK
Pentagon

Posted by JackHK
Pentagon

Re: Connection drop

Fill in the form and wait. Good  luck!

Posted by JackHK
Pentagon

Re: Support won't help with this topic

Please remove the programme and re-install. 

Posted by Kylian01
Trigon

Re: Connection drop

does not work i did thay about 2 months ago no response then after 1 months again still no response looking a bit at this treat you see that almost evry one who fills it out dosnt get to hear anything and are stuck for months with the problem untill they just use alternatives

Posted by Kylian01
Trigon

Re: Can not used free license.

You have to fill out a form and send it to teamviewer but for some reason they do not seem to care about personal users anymore by just not responding to them for months

Posted by Ant1
Trigon

Re: personal use

I strongly advise you not to move to the paid version. These guys are not to be trusted with your money. I moved to a paid subscription 12 months ago when they did this to me even though I was a provate used. They snuck in a condition buried at the bottom of the invoice that it would be automatically renewedk unless I gave 28 days notice. I had stopped using the product but suddenly found an increased subscription fee taken out of my bank account a year later even though I had not given specific permission for this to occur. When I approached them about this, they basically told me to get lost. Even when I tried to get them to not renew for next year it was a big problem.

TeamViewer is like Hotel California - once you sign up you can never leave.

If you are just using it for meetings there are other free products. I moved to one a while ago and also had fewer connection problems with it. 

Posted by Ant1
Trigon

It is intended to get you to move to the paid version. Don't do it. I did and then got tricked into renewing because of their onerous and concealled renewal practices. They took my money even though I was no longer using the product and refused to refund. 

Posted by pv7721
Hexagon

@Ant1 : it's not even that, but the price is adapted for a company, but not for a private user. I've said it before and I say it again: I have no problem paying to use TV even if it's for my personal use, as I've done for several other software which gave me a perpetual license for a fair price. I've become the advocate for these and I support them and recommend them every chance I've got.

Posted by da9el84
Digon

I can get behind that. But the price they are asking for a license, just for private use, is ridiculous. Ask 10USD for a license for private use and set some limits (Max 20 different connection IDs per month or something like that).
I would pay that, and I am pretty sure a lot of other people would too...

Posted by Ant1
Trigon

Yep. It is very expensive for a private user. I was using it for a couple of times a week and it cost me nearly as much as my Microsoft Office subscription.

My view is that they are free to charge what they like and users are free to reject it. What upset me is the way that people are coreced into using it in the first place as they are given no warning that the private use version will no longer work and may not have time to find an alternative so just pay.

Then once you are in they don't tell you that they will keep taking money out of your account in the e-mail that you send - that is hidden at the bottom of the invoice which many people won't open and if they do they may not see. This strategy is obviously designed to extract money from unsuspecting customers for no service. and is deeply unethical. I hope you won't continue to support a company that behaves in this way.

As for me, I accept my money is gone and that there is little that I can do about getting it back. However, I am retired and have lots of time on my hands so I can take the time to warn others of their behaviour.  

Highlighted
Posted by da9el84
Digon

Where I come from, you could contact your bank and say you didn't authorize another payment and have them dispute the claim. I would do that if I were you and if it's possible where you are from :)

2 Replies
Posted by Ant1
Trigon

But if they charged USD10 for 20 connections per month and they wouldn't have been able to **bleep** me for about a hundred times that figure as I would have been within the limit