Screen sharing and remote access not working on Xiaomi devices

Posted by Worldofankit
Henagon

Screen sharing and remote access not working on Xiaomi devices

I have installed TeamViewer host and other devices but if some other devices are trying to connect to my Xiaomi device, the device is not accepting the connection and fails with message " Screen sharing is not allowed for the device". Can anybody please help me on this
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Posted by Moderator Moderator
Solution

Re: Screen sharing and remote access not working on Xiaomi devices

Hi Taroko,

To be honest, I am not sure how much clearer I can be.

This is a legal issue. It has very little to do with any kind of technical issue and it is not an issue our developers can solve because it is not a development problem.

We are aware of it. It isn't a new thing. And no, we do not support linage or other Custom ROM's for the same reason.

We also aren't really concerned with what other software is doing. We require the manufacturers co-operation and this will remain the answer no matter how many times this question is asked.

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings.

-Scotty

3 Replies
13 Replies

Hi Worldofankit

Unfortunately Xaomi devices are not supported for screen sharing. We need the manufacturers co-operation for this which we do not have with Xaomi.

Please check our Android FAQ here

-Scotty

Posted by Worldofankit
Henagon

Hi Scotty

Thanks for the quick update. I read somewhere that TeamViewer has decided not to develop the add-on for Xiaomi until there are good number of people using it and as per my perspective I guess most of the users are using Xiaomi products only. So I would just suggest if there is a way where team viewer can try again to take help and create an add-on for xiomi will help many users.

Regards
Ankit
Posted by Ymca
Henagon

"good number of people using it"
How can TeamViewer"people, know how many people want to use the app on their Xiaomi when they cannot use it?
Did they asked people with a survey or something like that?

Hi Everyone,

Obviously there are a fair number of users using Xaomi devices, it is not the case that we are just waiting until there are enough before developing.

The issue is exactly as I posted before, we have restrictions that mean we ABSOLUTELY require the manufacturers cooperation.

Unfortunately we do not have this from Xaomi, so there has been no add-on developed.

It is in as a feature request, but as we must wait for this I cannot say if or when we will have this feature available.

-Scotty

Posted by Hillol
Photon

I am waiting for this because until it is develpoed i can't control my redmi 5A from my work place.It is very necessary to control redmi device from any place to them who doesn't fix the problem.

Posted by Googy
Photon

Hello !

I've a Xiaomi Mix 2. I installed the Host app on my phone and the Teamviewer client on my PC. I can connect to my Mix2, screen sharing is working but not remote control

Posted by kupk
Photon

Either choose Xiaomi or TeamViewer

Obviously it is a question of money. Xiaomi wont allow Teamviewer if it is not profitable for them. Or the Chinese are already working on some buggy version of their software. Remember, there is no charity in China. Recently Xiaomi removed Lite version of their homescreen that was used by older people and users with sight impairment just because it was not profitable enough for the corporation. So you guys decide who you are going to stay with...

Posted by Taroko
Electron

So Xiaomi develops hardware and the OS which is MIUI. When you say that TeamViewer requires Xiaomi's co-operation does it mean a hardware support or a software support. My guess is that you require a software support in which the MIUI-OS is in a position to take inputs remotely.

So assume that on Xiaomi's device one installs custom ROMs such as LineageOS ... will that work ?

3 days back I've bought Redmi Note 5 Pro and I don't see Teamviewer been supported nor do I see a LineageOS image ready yet for this recently launched device. However I'm sure a they will come out with a ROM for such a popular device.

Question is: Will LineageOS work with TeamViewer on Redmi Note 5 Pro ?

Thanks

Posted by Taroko
Electron

Now this is interesting !!!

Since I wanted to get the remote access working I was looking out for other options available on the internet. Turns out that Airdroid did the job for me ! ... I had to install the Airdroid PC application and the mobile app and through that I'm able to remotely control my mobile phone. I've enabled WiFi and also have the USB cable connected from PC to mobile.

Question to TeamViewer Team. 

How come Airdroid is able to get the job done while TeamViewer could not. The error that I got on TeamViewer "Host" and "QuickSupport" apps was "this device supports screen sharing only". 

Hope TeamViewer's Developer Team is able to figure out this problem. You folks can reach out to me registered email address and I'd be happy to help the dev team.

Highlighted
Solution

Hi Taroko,

To be honest, I am not sure how much clearer I can be.

This is a legal issue. It has very little to do with any kind of technical issue and it is not an issue our developers can solve because it is not a development problem.

We are aware of it. It isn't a new thing. And no, we do not support linage or other Custom ROM's for the same reason.

We also aren't really concerned with what other software is doing. We require the manufacturers co-operation and this will remain the answer no matter how many times this question is asked.

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings.

-Scotty

3 Replies
Posted by Ymca
Henagon

Ahh. Another question about the legality if I may.
Is the legality problem connected to the hardware (phone) or to the software (android miui)?
If it's a software, will changing android from a different ROM (not xiaomi's) will solve the legality problem?
Posted by Ymca
Henagon

From that I guess it's not a software/hardware legality. xiaomi just don't want to enable TV. So after people buy xiaomi phones, and after the warranty is over, xiaomi still controls it with legality.
It's a shame that companies cannot let go legality after warranty is over so TV can be used.

@YmcaThat's close. Although, it's no so much that they don't want us to, it's that they have never allowed us to or responded as far as I know.

It's not a software/hardware thing. Even though in Xiaomi's case, the software is created separately, they still have the rights to it.

Manufacturers and developers are pretty protective of this kind of stuff. Samsung originally asked for a separate app just for them, which we did. But then, they wouldn't let us do updates which left Samsung devices in the lurch.

Now we can do it without an add-on, but at their request we had to integrate knox protection in the app.

It may be technically possible to connect and control any device. The problem is stepping on toes is not good for anyone.

-Scotty