FAQ on how to get started with TeamViewer during the Corona Virus Crisis

Esther
Esther Posts: 4,052 Former Community Manager
edited May 2023 in Announcements

Hi all,

In the current situation of the Corona Virus Crisis, we all stand together to flatten the curve as it has been called lately.

For this, more and more people started to work from the safety of their homes.

We got a lot of questions in the past days and weeks and we want to provide an FAQ to cover most of the questions directly and in an easy to access way here in our Community:

I am totally new to TeamViewer. Where to begin?

Welcome to TeamViewer!

We have a large number of great articles to help you get started quickly.

Here is a great starting point for the usage of our software: 

How can I set up TeamViewer for Home Office?

Our general recommendation looks like this:

On your work computer:

1. Install TeamViewer Host or the full version on your work computer. You will find the download here: Download TeamViewer
  2. Create a TeamViewer Account and activate two-factor authentication
  3. Setup Easy Access for your TeamViewer Account
  4. Save the TeamViewer ID as a computer in your Computers & Contacts list
  5. An extra layer of security: Add a whitelist for your work computer and add your TeamViewer Account to it. With this, you restrict access for other persons

On your home computer:

1. Install the TeamViewer Full version on your home computer. You will find the download here: Download TeamViewer
  2. Login to your Computers & Contacts list with your TeamViewer Account
  3. You can now connect to your work computer

Can I temporarily add additional channels to my license?

Please contact our sales team regarding license questions. They will be happy to advise you on your options.

Can I buy a monthly subscription for telework?

TeamViewer does not offer a monthly subscription. 

Please contact our sales team regarding license questions. They will be happy to advise you on your options

We have not gotten an order confirmation emails after purchasing. I can see that my credit card has been charged. How can I use the license I paid?

We are working on sending out all confirmation emails as fast as possible. 

Please refrain from making a new purchase to avoid double orders that are not intended and that will need to be canceled by you within 7 days. 

I bought a Remote Access license, but I do not get phone support. What can I do?

TeamViewer created a new license type called the Remote Access license. Our goal was to offer a low price, high-value solution for specific use cases like Remote Access or Remote Work. 

All customers with this license can ask their support questions online in our dedicated board for Remote Access customers or submit a ticket via our ticket portal.

Please understand that we only offer telephone support for customers with a Business, Premium, Corporate, or Tensor license.

How can I activate my Remote Access license?

Please read this article to learn more about how to activate your Remote Access license: How to activate your Remote Access Plan

How can I activate my Busines, Premium or Corporate license?

Please read this article to learn more about how to activate your license: How to activate your license

How do I start a TeamViewer Meeting? 

Please read this article to learn more about how to start a TeamViewer Meeting.

How many participants are allowed per meeting? 

Free license: 1

Remote Access: Meeting is not included

Business: 5

Premium: 15

Corporate: 25

How many participants are allowed per blizz meeting?

Free license: 5

Core license: 10

Crew license: 25

Company license: 300

https://www.blizz.com/

Is TeamViewer for free during the Corona crisis? I read that in the media.

TeamViewer has always been for free and will be free for private use. In general, we ask users to buy a subscription if we detect a commercial usage pattern over a certain period of time. In the context of the global Corona crisis, we are refraining from checking these connections for commercial use. By doing so, we help individuals to stay safe and work from home in case their company is not providing appropriate equipment.

This doesn’t mean that we allow companies in general to use TeamViewer for free. We stick to our subscription plans, which are reasonably priced, and offer introduction level packages like our Remote Access product as well as attractive discounts for larger enterprises to make it easier for them to start with a secure, professional and convenient home office solution for their staff as soon as possible.

Our online collaboration product Blizz for online meetings with telephone or video as well as screen-sharing can be used completely for free for up to 5 participants.

I tried to call your support, but I was in the waiting queue for a long time. What can I do?

We are very sorry for the delay you are experiencing!

Due to the current situation, we are facing a large number of support requests and this increases the waiting time on the phone for our customers.

As an alternative, please feel free to submit a ticket via our ticket portal or visit our TeamViewer Community. Here you can search for the answer to your question or post your question to the other community users.

Former Community Manager

Comments

• bernamax
    bernamax Posts: 2

a week ago I purchased the license , but I still haven't received the email with the activation link. What can I do?

M.Bernabei

• Very dissapointing really that you are not doing anything to support your customers. For many, a yearly license it's just too much to handle right now. Good luck with your greedy approach. In time of need you do not stand with your poeple!

• bernamax
    bernamax Posts: 2

You don't know what is my job ! I don't work only with computer .

• Esther

Hi @bernamax 

I think what @Dinosrules wrote was meant for TeamViewer. Sorry for the confusion.

@Dinosrules Thanks for your feedback. We are always open to a positive and productive exchange to become better and better each day.

In case of a question about the software, you are more than welcome to post your questions here in our community. As you can see we have a lot of really helpful people here to assist as many TeamViewer users and customers as possible. Not just during the crisis but every single day since 2016.

If you have license questions, I recommend checking out the buy-now pages or talk to one of our Sales Agents who will find the best fitting plan for your individual needs.

Sorry that my FAQ was not helpful for you.

Best, Esther

Former Community Manager

• ag8
    ag8 Posts: 2

If I have free license but would like to help/support elderly neighbors / people in my small community stuck at home at no charge to them (we have small non-profit neighborhood association), will I be flagged for commercial usage?  I can provide necessary info to teamviewer including our community website. Normally I only support my very close relatives so my usage is extremely low, but if I decide to help my neighbors I am afraid that it may trigger "commercial usage" warning. I am based in Canada.

• Yuri_T
    Yuri_T Posts: 2,256 [Former Staff]

Hi @ag8 ,

Thank you for your post.

Of course, you can help your neighbors with private license.
    TeamViewer has always been for free and will be for free for private use.

I hope you and people who are important to you are safe.?

Kind regards,
    Yuri

Former Japanese Community Moderator
  • ag8
    ag8 Posts: 2

Thanks for your kind reply, Yuri.  Unfortunately I had very strange experience when I received the notification "commercial use suspected" back in October 2019 - and I was only helping just a few closest relatives and maybe 1-2 friends on very occasional basis. After I filled special form, I was asked to fill the affidavit - I did it, then no response, no action. I tried again in December, was asked to fill the form again, did it again, then no response, no actions. Tried again in February, including follow up emails, and all my emails were responded by robot only, asking me to fill the affidavit etc.  It appears that restriction was lifted only recently (without any notification to me)  and this is a reason I am so concerned - during these difficult times my remote help to my close relatives, especially elderly ones is very critical as we are trying to avoid/minimize personal visits. The last thing I want is to be restricted again, even by accident.  I probably would feel more comfortable if I could submit some form / declaration, and received the confirmation that account may be used for some volunteer activities during the pandemic only.

• magy
    magy Posts: 1

mnmnmnm

• Good morning,

I work in a help desk at a college and we had to pick up a teamviewer license due to working from home, my problem is we cannot do everything on a users laptop they took home because it blocks out the screen whenever a UAC window pops up, and if we try to remote control using windows authentication it says denied (I assume because we are not on our network and it can't connect to a server to do so) do we have any options to help us with this?

• Esther

HI @Helpdeskguy 

Thanks for your question.

I hope you find this article helpful: Controlling the UAC on remote Windows PC 

Thanks and best, Esther

Former Community Manager

• HI,

I saw that but our problem is we are working from home not on our network and our company doesn't have a VPN. When we go to use that we get an authentication failed error

• You may want to use a local account to elevate (assuming you have one on the computer in question). To do that just type:

.\localuser

in the username box and the password for the localuser account.

Goodluck!